Short memorials, boring weddings, no birthdays, etc...just because it places too much emphasis on a person?

by Chemical Emotions 16 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Chemical Emotions
    Chemical Emotions

Does that seem fair? Did it ever make you feel kind of...ashamed to be a human?

• Ilovebirthdays
    Ilovebirthdays

I was able to swallow most of the crap without questioning, but even when I was a fairlyish small child, I always resented the fact that it never got to be about the person, even after they had died. I (stupidly) tried to verbalize that somewhere around 9/10 years old to my mother, and learned never to do that again.

• St George of England
    St George of England
    Did it ever make you feel kind of...ashamed to be a human?

No, but it sure made me ashamed to be a JW

George

• Chemical Emotions
    Chemical Emotions

No, but it sure made me ashamed to be a JW

I felt that way too lol.

• alanv
    alanv

I went to my JW son's wedding recently and when the bride came into the hall, the witnesses stayed seated. I asked why they did not stand and do you know what the presiding oversear said. 'It's a bit like worship isn't it.' I was speechless.

• transhuman68
    transhuman68

That's why it is a high-control group. The individuals exist to serve the religion; instead of the religion serving the needs of the people. Witnesses can never progress to feel self-empowered- they aren't allowed to.

• jean-luc picard
    jean-luc picard

The moment you start placing the emphasis on the person, showing them how much they mean to you, is the moment that you realise what true happiness is.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

To them, you are just a package. Effectively, you are the cup that the Coke comes in--the "Coke" is whatever service and value you transfer to the organization. And once the Coke is gone, the cup is so much litter. To celebrate anything or enjoy something is to place value on the cup, rather than on the Coke that is inside the cup.

• Chemical Emotions
    Chemical Emotions

Good points.

And the no-standing-for-the-bride part pisses me off for some reason.

• MrFreeze
    MrFreeze

It's no wonder most people have no feeling of self-worth when they leave the organization.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit