meteor showers are spectacular right now

by Glander 11 Replies latest jw friends

• Glander
    Glander

We watched them until very late last night. More tonight. If you have clear skies and minimal light pollution where you live they are beautiful.

• ShirleyW
    ShirleyW

Glander, where are you located? I don't think we'll be able to see much here in NYC

• Glander
    Glander

Columbia River Gorge in Oregon.

• Kudra
    Kudra

We had a lot of cloud cover until the wee hours. I camped out in the back yard with my dog but did not see anything...

They we were scared inside by gunshots... laaame.

I hope to see some tonight..!

How many per hour were you able to see? Did the moon obsure a lot of the action?

• Glander
    Glander

The moon came up very low in the east and wasn't a factor until about midnight. By that time I was ready for bed. I also had overserved my refreshments.

Didn't count but it seemed like one every minute or two. Sometimes 2 at a time.

gunshots?

• Kudra
    Kudra

Really! I had heard that the show did not get going until after midnight.

In my region though, the moon was high at 11-12 already.

Maybe I'll try to go out and camp in a NF tonight...

• wobble
    wobble

I just love wathching them, one day one flew in so low that I heard it whoosh across the sky !

Thanks for letting us know, I'll be out there later, with my hip flask in case of cold weather (Tee Hee)

• Kudra
    Kudra

Yeah, living in a US border town (MX not Canadian...) is awesome.

Less gunshots in the area of town I live in now but apparently someone was gettin rowdy at 4am closeby this morning...

• rebel8
    rebel8

You are the only person besides myself that I have ever heard use the term "light pollution".

I am waiting for it to get dark so I can watch the meteors. Perhaps I will get a glimpse of Jehovah sitting up there at Pleiades .

• Kudra
    Kudra

We're all about eliminating the light pollution here in (southwest town where there are a lot of observatories + telescopes). We have special street lamps, house lights etc.

I am leaving the house at 3am tonight to get out to a trailhead to stargaze for an hour or two before I start my Sunday morning trail run.

Fun!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit