Any Tourettes syndrome in your congregation?

by fade_away 24 Replies latest jw experiences

• Apeman
    Apeman

My younger brother has Tourettes, although he doesn't blurt out obscenities. He has grown out of most of it, but he still does little things like scrunch his nose, and makes small chriping sounds when he's nervous or excited. There were several sisters in the Hall I went to that tried to tell him to control his tics (for those who don't know, that's the term for the little odd things they do as a result of the Tourettes), which pissed me and my mother off to no end. As far as it goes though, he had a good sense of humor about it with us, but what those sisters said to him really scarred him and caused a lot of resentment and social issues.

• SweetBabyCheezits
    SweetBabyCheezits
    outsmartthesystem: People making up their own words like....humbleness and misunderestimate....etc.

Not to be a prick but I think humbleness was already a word.

apeman: There were several sisters in the Hall I went to that tried to tell him to control his tics

Geez... you were rightfully pissed.

• Giordano
    Giordano

I'm loving misunderestimate............ Thats when congress doesn't get how pissed off the American population is with them.

• Broken Promises
    Broken Promises
    Not to be a prick but I think humbleness was already a word.

In correct English grammer, it is not a word. "Humility" is the word that should be used instead.

However, the language is ever evolving, and it has been Americanised and hence "humbleness" has been accepted by Merriam-Webster.

• MrMonroe
    MrMonroe

In one congo I was in, a woman insisted on bringing her elderly, wheelchair-bound father along to meetings. The poor old bloke had Alzheimers and was a bit of a handful at the best of times because he was a big old farmer, but she probably figured he might learn something from the meetings and therefore be saved at Armageddon.

One time we had the CO at the congregation giving the Sunday morning public talk. The old bloke started muttering loudly and his daughter tried to calm him down. But suddenly he bellowed out, "I CAN'T UNDERSTAND A F***KING WORDS HE'S SAYING!"

The CO paused and you could have heard a pin drop. No one knew quite what to do, and I doubt there was anything in the elders' training manual about what to do when someone yells the F-bomb at the top of his voice. Pops was promptly wheeled out of the hall.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit