Notes from my Baptism - WARNING! May induce vomiting...and sarcasm

by mummatron 12 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• mummatron
    mummatron

In my last thread, http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/jw/experiences/214315/1/Just-found-a-memory-box-of-priceless-artifacts-HILARIOUSLY-priceless-JW-artifacts-that-is I promised to type up my notes from the '98 DC Baptism talk from when I was baptised at the age of 18. So here they are... (I would say enjoy, but, um, yeeeaahhh....)

WARNING! - Paper Sick Bag Required!

Dedication & Baptism 1998 DC

Is your faith in Jehovah’s word? Your friends have nurtured you, but your faith brought you here.

2 Peter 1:1

1 Simon Peter, a slave and apostle of Jesus Christ, to those who have obtained a faith, held in equal privilege with ours, by the righteousness of our God and [the] Savior Jesus Christ:

Statistically speaking, as a JW you are 1 in every 1,000 walking on this earth.

Jude :21

21 keep yourselves in God’s love, while YOU are waiting for the mercy of our Lord Jesus Christ with everlasting life in view.

A holy faith, a treasure of knowing the truth.

Why is baptism a vital step to make in our growing up in the faith? There is no other way of demonstrating our dedication. Baptism is a gesture – the greatest gesture – Jesus laying down his life. Baptism is a Christ-like act. It will be recorded in the book of Jehovah.

Acts 2:41

41 Therefore those who embraced his word heartily were baptized, and on that day about three thousand souls were added.

Embrace = to hug – a physical connotation to take the challenge and physically hug.

Embrace the Mother Organisation which has fed, and clothed us, and taught us, etc.

Over 1 million in the last 3 years [1994/5-1997/8] have embraced the faith.

There are those who make it happen, and those who watch it happen. Baptism = making it happen!

Luke 14:26, 27 & 33

28 For example, who of YOU that wants to build a tower does not first sit down and calculate the expense, to see if he has enough to complete it? 29 Otherwise, he might lay its foundation but not be able to finish it, and all the onlookers might start to ridicule him 33 Thus, you may be sure, none of YOU that does not say good-bye to all his belongings can be my disciple.

We don’t hate our families but we hate compromising our integrity.

2 Peter 1:5-8

5 Yes, for this very reason, by YOUR contributing in response all earnest effort, supply to YOUR faith virtue, to [ YOUR ] virtue knowledge, 6 to [ YOUR ] knowledge self-control, to [ YOUR ] self-control endurance, to [ YOUR ] endurance godly devotion, 7 to [ YOUR ] godly devotion brotherly affection, to [ YOUR ] brotherly affection love. 8 For if these things exist in YOU and overflow, they will prevent YOU from being either inactive or unfruitful regarding the accurate knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.

[Stupid metaphor follows...]

Jehovah’s banking system – we can put in, and take out when we want.

5 meetings per week: 3 = input 2 = output

If we don’t put in we can get into spiritual debt. Looking at the World’s “banking systems”...Materialism, ‘pleasures’, immorality. Satan = World’s Bank Manager

2 Peter 1:10 & 11

10 For this reason, brothers, all the more do YOUR utmost to make the calling and choosing of YOU sure for yourselves; for if YOU keep on doing these things YOU will by no means ever fail. 11 In fact, thus there will be richly supplied to YOU the entrance into the everlasting kingdom of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.

A good balance = spending power – will motivate to be active and preach.

Heart – Input à Take in Mouth – Output à Declare

Some may have opposed you but inside they admire your determination. [WTF?]

Mark 9:23 & 24

23 Jesus said to him: “That expression, ‘If you can’! Why, all things can be to one if one has faith.” 24 Immediately crying out, the father of the young child was saying: “I have faith! Help me out where I need faith!”

Baptism Questions

Song – To God we are Dedicated

Baptism was held at the Circuit Assembly Hall just outside the city. A coach was provided by the WTBT$ to transport us there. Went there, got dunked, had to eat my lunch in a hurry on the coach back to the stadium. The coach arrived after the afternoon session had already started. It wasn't exactly the warmest day of July. I had to sit outdoors in the wind with wet hair. I caught a cold.

Last talk of the afternoon session was given by Brother Ellis of London Bethel in which he stated:

5 baptised [Only 5 for an entire District of approx 8,000!] – Staying in the truth is the problem most of us are having. Satan has had 6,000 years of experience in distracting people from the true course. Are we willing to pay Satan’s price for what he offers?

The cost – LSD flashbacks, pregnancy, STDs, DEATH!

Well Brother Ellis, I've yet to get an LSD flashback, STD or die...but hey, I'm imperfect, I'm sure the death thing will happen eventually. However, obviously Satan got to me as I got pregnant. Twice. I wouldn't be called Mummatron if I hadn't. I've paid Satan's price. I bear the scars. They're called stretchmarks. But who cares, 'cause children are a precious gift from God right?!

Mummatron x

• talesin
    talesin

Talk about flashbacks! *shivers*

I, for one, am so happy you're here, mumma!

tal

• mummatron
    mummatron

Thank you tal!

• Witness My Fury
    Witness My Fury

Given the benefit of hindsight it possibly now rates as the stupidist thing you've ever done? ,.... I know for me looking back at myself getting baptised at 16 it certainly was. If only my unbelieving father had been more assertive and I may have been saved from it.

Also v glad you's here

• MrFreeze
    MrFreeze

Almost cringe worthy...

• mummatron
    mummatron
    Given the benefit of hindsight it possibly now rates as the stupidist thing you've ever done?

You knows it!

Also v glad you's here

Thank you. Ditto.

OK WMF, question for you... Seeing as you were there, do you remember it? That particular DC I mean, and the one you were dunked at for that matter. I don't know whether it's because I've been away for so long and dealt with it all by blocking it out ('cause I have a very good long-term memory normally) or if the monotomy of being a JW means that eventually all the DCs, CCs SA days, just blur into one...?

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Embrace the Mother Organisation which has fed, and clothed us, and taught us, etc.

That one was funny ..

Theres a WBT$ Supermarket and WBT$ Clothing store..

Do you remember the Address`s?..

.....................;-)...OUTLAW

• mummatron
    mummatron

@Outlaw

Yeah, my local one:

The Ridgeway, London NW7 1RN

Probably the only store in London that hasn't been looted!

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

I`m sure the store is very nice but,I doubt the WBT$ owns it..

LOL!!..

.....................;-)...OUTLAW

• Witness My Fury
    Witness My Fury

Truth be told I HATED assemblies and had been known to not even bother going some years. The DC in 1998 i think i was there for all of it as i know i was in full swing "good JW" phase at that time period, i seem to remember you being announced the next thursday meeting now i come to think about it.

Yes most DCs and CA just merge as they are so mind numbingly boring, usually only 3rd party events that are memorable will trigger memories of a particular assembly. Most people who attend can't even remember the theme 1 week later.

I remember my baptism very well because we had a bomb scare during the baptism and had to evacuate the stadium.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit