On becoming atheist - the tug of war

by Nickolas 207 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• cyberjesus
    cyberjesus

the problem is not in becoming atheist... its in getting rid of the theists myths of life and death

• cyberjesus
    cyberjesus

For some being angry at God is what made them believe in him... for some of us love for "god" was what made us not believe in it anymore.

• cyberjesus
    cyberjesus

death is necessary for life.... think of all the animals and plants that had to die to keep you alive today...

• cyberjesus
    cyberjesus

or the planets that had to explode so we could have the atoms we are made of.

• cyberjesus
    cyberjesus

death is a problem for the ones still alive.

• talesin
    talesin

death is a problem for the ones still alive.

that's what she said

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

I never held out any hope for any kind of lovely afterlife.

What were the options?

Either the WT was right and Jehovah was going to kill me because I couldn't live up to the lofty standards He supplied to the Watchtower, or the Christians were right and I was going to be turning on some sadistic God's BBQ forever.

Finding out that the Bible was nothing nore than men's thoughts about god was a blessing.

• THE GLADIATOR
    THE GLADIATOR

Nickolas Howdya get on with the dental surgery this morning?

Save some of that Islay single malt for me - I'm tired of drinking lions blood.

• sizemik
    sizemik
    Even Einstein confessed to a belief in God. Go figure?

My examination of Einsteins writings revealed that belief to be an extremely "qualified" one. His stance was more one of making room for the unknown where evidence is lacking, and if one were to attach a label he would be best described as agnostic. He most certainly rejected any and all of the contemporary "religions" of his day . . . probably best summed up by these quotes . . .

I am a deeply religious nonbeliever - this is a somewhat new kind of religion.

I cannot imagine a God who rewards and punishes the objects of his creation and is but a reflection of human frailty.

I do not believe in immortality of the individual, and I consider ethics to be an exclusively human concern with no superhuman authority behind it.

It was the experience of mystery - even if mixed with fear - that engendered religion.

True religion is real living; living with all one's soul, with all one's goodness and righteousness.

Albert Einstein

• PSacramento
    PSacramento
    Some of those laws hardly appear to be a weaning process. Why go from no laws to crazy strict laws to a more reasonable law of love?

Most don't see it that way, it was more like going from incorrect "laws" to Laws to creat a solid base that made the Hebrews different than their neigbours, to a law of love and faith that could be build from that core.

Is it possible that you're stretching and contorting this theory to fit a foregone conclusion?

Actualy, I am stating the views fo some scholars, theologians and apolgetics, not MINE per say.

But yes, that may will be the case.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit