On becoming atheist - the tug of war

by Nickolas 207 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• botchtowersociety
    botchtowersociety

Don't worry about giving up fantasies, my atheists. You can still play World of Warcraft 18 hours a day.

And for those that say no baby is born theist, well, none of them are born with toilet hygiene either.

We are born all a-wipers, a-walkers, and a-talkers.

But we are all born believing in

• tec
    tec

Son is now kicking me off so he can play WoW :)

Looking forward to talking to you more later, Nick.

Peace,

Tammy

• tec
    tec

lol, coming after Burns comment!

• botchtowersociety
    botchtowersociety

lol, coming after Burns comment!

Within the same minute! Strange synchronicity, this! LOL!

BTS, a confirmed boobieist.

• sabastious
    sabastious

Nick, you keep refering to "looking oblivion in the face." Are you speaking about a near death experience? Sky diving comes to mind for me.

Sky diving seems like a profoundly spiritual experience, but I have never done it. There is just so much time to think about whether or not this is your day to die. You put your life in the hands of equipment and your will to use it. If I sky dive and come back and still consider an afterlife would your opinion of my opinion change?

-Sab

• unshackled
    unshackled

The post by Cheez about the unfortunate passing of his mother, brought up a memory of a brief conversation with my JW father. This was about 5 years ago and it just occurred to me this was the last time we talked. Hopefully there's a point that can add to the discussion...

I had already faded a years earlier, and had been separated from my JW ex-wife for a few months (eventually divorced). She called me one day crying and in complete devastation – her mother had suddenly passed away that morning to the shock of all. She was only in her late 50s. My parents of course we're fairly close to her parents, so I made the call to my father to inform him of the sad news.

I will never forget his response. He rather casually said, with no sign of sadness or emotion, "well, these things happen". It was if I had just told him I got a speeding ticket. Or spilled some coffee on my pants. The rest of the convo was short...a casual catchup. It was very surreal. Looking back I'm sure he was trying to make a "witness". Show me how strong his faith in the resurrection/paradise earth was. But it was cold and robotic. It wasn't human.

Perhaps the point from that story is that death and grieving, no matter how painful, are natural processes. It is human to cry and feel pain. It is human to eventually die. My father's desire to believe in an "afterlife" was so strong it stripped him of all natural human response. Getting off the phone I remember thinking about how chilling it was to be so emotionless - the tyranny of intransigent belief.

• Nickolas
    Nickolas

No, I don't mean sky diving, sab. Perhaps a question would help clarify my meaning.

I have not been stung by death yet. I am awaiting the trial by fire.

Do you fear your parents' deaths?

• SweetBabyCheezits
    SweetBabyCheezits
    BTS, a confirmed boobieist.

Burns, you gave me an epiphany: I am a born-again fundamental boobieist. I did go through a period from 3-9 where I was apathetic. But then my faith in boobies grew firm, uh, rapidly.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

PSacramento: Your story makes me wonder if I should try getting angry at God, as a path to belief. I've never been angry at God. As you can imagine, however, it seems like it would now be impossible for me to be angry at God. I suppose if he revealed himself to me, and could then be angry about his timing.

• sabastious
    sabastious
    Do you fear your parents' deaths?

I do not.

That said, I am uncomfortable with the fact that I don't know how I will react to a loved one's death. I am fearful of that discomfort which will last for an unknown and extended amount of time. My mother clawed the carpet as she sobbed when her brother died young (early 40s). It was pretty traumatic for me so it makes me wonder how I will react.

-Sab

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit