That Magical Number: 2,520

by Quendi 29 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• MrFreeze
    MrFreeze

The WT could say gravity doesnt exist and the dubs would buy it. They can say whatever they want. It doesnt matter.

• Dutch-scientist
    Dutch-scientist

Howmany TIMES we debate on 1914, its almost 100 TIMES ago that the 7 TIMES ended accourding the JW.

• lepavoux
    lepavoux

Russell used "inches" measurements of The Great Pyramid to get to his 1914 date, when the Pyramid was built was it not cubits that were used in those days?"Inches"were not used back then!

Did he Claim God foresaw the measurements in the 19th century would be in "inches" therefore he laid out the Pyramid in "inches?

• Crisis of Conscience
  • Dutch-scientist
    Dutch-scientist

Lepavoux your right with that!

ebfore daniel write something he already now that we will use solar years in the future!

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

Quendi,

Excellent post.

<< I know the WTS uses Revelation's equaling the "time, times, and half a time" to 1,260 days and it is on that basis it calculates the length of the "seven times" of Daniel 4. If Mark had gone there, I had an entire battery of arguments ready to shoot that down. But he never made that connection.>>

How would you have dealt with Mark if he had made that connection?

• Quendi
    Quendi

I've been away from the computer for a while and so am returning late to this discussion.

@Vanderhoven7:

This is how I would have answered Mark or any other Witness who wants to equate Revelation with Daniel. John is specifically told that the "time, times, and half a time" equal 42 months and 1,260 days. That is seen by comparing Revelation 11:3, 4 with Revelation 12:6, 14. So far, so good. However, Daniel is given no such equivalent measures. He is simply told that "seven times" will pass over the tree before the banding of iron and copper is removed and the tree allowed to sprout again. We are nowhere told that the "seven times" equals 84 months or 2,520 days.

So this means that any other attempt to calculate how long the "seven times" are is pure speculation, nothing more. Also, it is good to keep in mind that Revelation was written more than six centuries after Daniel's book. So Revelation cannot be used to cast light on the meaning of Daniel's prophecy. Additionally, Daniel was talking about a symbolic tree, whereas Revelation's discussion about its time span must be applied to several entities in its prophecy, not merely one.

For those who would say that both books were inspired by holy spirit, we can concede that point. But they must then answer the question why that same holy spirit saw fit to spell out the length of the "time, times, and half a time" in Revelation, but was conspicuously silent about how long the "seven times" were that it inspired Daniel to announce and Nebuchadnezzar to dream about. Under direct influence of the holy spirit, Daniel is silent, whereas John is not on this matter. So there is no scriptural basis for saying the seven times equaled 2,520 days, let alone connecting them with the "time of the Gentiles" that Jesus mentioned in his Olivet prophecy.

What we have here is exactly what the apostle Peter warned against when he spoke of those who were "untaught and unsteady...twisting, as they do also the rest of the Scriptures". In this case the result has been a twisted, convoluted, teaching that makes no sense at all when examined with common sense, let alone with the rest of the Scriptures.

Quendi

• GLTirebiter
    GLTirebiter
    Did he Claim God foresaw the measurements in the 19th century would be in "inches" therefore he laid out the Pyramid in "inches?

Russell, among others, used pyramid inches to make the Stone Prophet say what he wanted it to say. The difference is only 0.1%, but that was enough to adjust the prophetic chronology by several years.

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

Thanks Quendi,

Yes, there is so much assumption tied to 1914 and that's the approach I've worked on as well.

In fact, the entire religion [every unique doctrine originating with them] is based on extra-biblical assumption.

• Diest
    Diest

I like this point from a jewish website. " To coordinate these three phenomena, and to accommodate certain ritual requirements, the Jewish calendar consists of 12 or 13 months of 29 or 30 days, and can be 353, 354, 355, 383, 384 or 385 days long. The linchpin of the calendar is the new moon, referred to in Hebrew as the molad."

Oddly enough the jewish calendar is never 360 days long.

http://www.jewfaq.org/calendr2.htm

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit