That Magical Number: 2,520

by Quendi 29 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Dutch-scientist
    Dutch-scientist

When i had study out of the daniel book I pointed many errors already in the book by simple logic.

they guy who give me the study was so confused that he used 70 AD and not 607 BC in his calculation from his mind.

1914 = 2520 + 70 of course i play with the mind of an JW and quendi has an good point.

during one chapter they stated Babylon was not overtroned in 1000 years!!! I asked back what about the Assyrians why Nebukadnessar need to rebuild temples? Then you see that the poor guy is trained what he hear from the organisation.

• Dutch-scientist
    Dutch-scientist

If two years has 730 days how many days has 4 years?

If you know the richt answer why you are sure if 7 times is 7 years has the same amount of days in a year?

• Mary
    Mary

Don't they also claim though, that the 1,260 days in Revelation is referring to a literal 3 1/2 year period where Rutherfraud & Co. spent some time in the Big House?

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

Mary--yes. But they got that minor/major fullfillment thingy going. Like the guy (I'm getting rusty and can't always remember names anymore) that laid on his side for 40 days represented a bigger picture of 40 years.

When I was a believer, I couldn't always explain 2520---but I understood it. The numbers were hard to articulate. It wouldn't have "stumbled" me because I considered it my own failing. I used to think I should commit it all to memory, but I would forget again. I actually have a better hold on it now. Your friend probably just thinks he understands but can't explain. He'll read the explanation again, and it will all make sense to him.

NC

• thetrueone
    thetrueone

This publishing house has created many weakly based doctrinal proclamations, but since they extrapolated these out of the bible they appeared valid

enough in attracting attention by a segment of the population.

The strongly presented expression by the WTS. that this organization has been specify chosen by

god to dispense vital and truthful information to mankind dilutes critical examination by the reading consumer.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

I realised that 2520 was not in scripture, and therefore 1914 was not a date to be connected with Bible prophecy.

Don't forget, Chas Russell arrived at the 1914 date via measurements of the Great Pyramid. Nothing to do with weeks of years. When WTS says it pointed to this historic year for decades in advance, they leave out the Pyramid part of the equation. (Wonder why?)

• Ding
    Ding

I look back now and am embarrassed by how gullible I was.

I remember the first time I heard the time, times, and half a times = 3 1/2 times = 1260, so 7 times = 2520 teaching in my living room.

It reminded me of a magician quickly showing me both sides of a coin and then suddenly the coin disappeared, only to reappear a few seconds later from behind my ear. How did he do that?

But, just as the magician quickly moved on to something else so I wouldn't ask how that coin really got there, so the JWs conducting the study moved quickly on to something else and treated 1914 as a proven Bible date, which got repeated and reinforced again and again.

Quickly, I forgot about how many unestablished assumptions the whole calculation depended on.

For example why does "times" = 2 times? Why couldn't it mean 10 times or 100 times?

And why did the length of time a Babylonian king lost his sanity have anything to do with the length of time Gentiles would rule on earth?

I had friends who tried to tell me I was off in some mystical Never Neverland, but I thought I was getting important knowledge that they didn't understand because I was engaging in deep Bible study that they weren't taking seriously enough.

And, of course, it didn't occur to me to check out the 607 BCE date.

The JWs seemed honest and knowledgeable, and I figured no one would cite a date with such certainty unless it was an established fact.

The fact that THEY had never checked this stuff out either didn't occur to me.

Looking back now, I'm surprised I didn't buy the Brooklyn Bridge from them as well.

If anyone who is reading this still thinks the WT calculation have validity, I implore you to go back in the literature and read all the equally knowledgeable and persuasive "Bible proof":

-- Russell used to "prove" Jesus returned invisibly in 1874 and that World War I was Armageddon and would bring in the new system. See how he "verified" it by measuring various the length of various passages in the Great Pyramid of Giza.

-- Rutherford used in Millions Now Living Will Never Die to "prove" through Jubilee cycles that 1925 would be the date of the resurrection of Abraham, Isaac,and Jacob and all the OT worthies. Go look at Beth Sarim in San Diego, the mansion he had the WT build for them to live in.

-- Fred Franz used in Life Everlasting in Freedom of the Sons of God to establish a 100+ year "new light" adjustment about the creation date proving that we had to stay alive until 1975, when it would be "an appropriate time for God to act" in bringing Armageddon and the new system.

• VM44
    VM44

"they [The Watchtower] call 360 days the length of a prophetic year"

Is there any basis for that?

Or is it something that The Watchtower just made up?

• Mary
    Mary
    Is there any basis for that? Or is it something that The Watchtower just made up?

You've got 3 guesses and the first 2 don't count.

If memory serves, don't they go to some scripture in Numbers where it says "a day for a year" and apply it to anything they see fit?

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

ESSENTIAL ELEMENTS OF WATCHTOWER 1914 CHRONOLOGY:

The Watchtower says that early in October of 607 BCE Jersulam was destroyed by Nebuchadnezzar, king of Babylon. With the dethroning of the king of Judah in that year, the Davidic Kingdom of God ceased and the time of Gentile dominion, rulership over the earth, began. The "Gentile Times" ended in October 1914 when the Kingdom of God was re-established by Christ who became invisibly present and began ruling in the heavens.

KEY SCRIPTURAL TEXTS WITNESSES DRAW UPON TO SUPPORT THEIR 1914 CHRONOLOGY AND HOW THEY ARE EXPLAINED BY WATCHTOWER CHRONOLOGISTS:

(1) Luke 21:24;

(2) Daniel 4:16, 17

(3) Revelation 11: 1-3, 12:6, 14

(4) Ezekiel 4:5, 6; Numbers 14:33, 34

TEXT 1: Luke 21:24

"and they will fall by the edge of the sword and will be led captive into all the nations; and JERUSALEM will be trampled underfoot by the Gentiles until THE TIMES OF THE GENTILES BE FULFILLED" N.A.S.

JW EXPLANATION: Jerusalem, picturing the "Davidic Kingdom" on earth has been trampled on (abolished) since 607 BCE when Nebuchadnezzar destroyed Jerusalem, and its temple and removed its king. The Davidic Kingdom was not to be restored or re-established till the period of Gentile rule was over.

TEXT 2: Daniel 4:16, 17

"Let his (Nebuchadnezzar) mind be changed from that of a man,

And let a beasts mind be given to him,

And let SEVEN PERIODS OF TIME pass over him....

In order that the living may know,

That the Most High is ruler over the realm of mankind... N.A.S.

JW EXPLANATION: How long would this period of Gentile domination last? Nebuchadnezzar had seven time periods pass over him before his domination by a beastly mind came to an end and his kingdom restored. This pictures what would happen during the times of the gentiles who would dominate for seven periods of time before God's kingdom could be re-established.

TEXT 3: Revelation 11:1 - 3; 12:6, 14

"And there was given me a measuring rod like a staff; and

someone said, "Rise and measure the temple of God, and the

alter, and those who worship in it. (11:1)

And leave out the court which is outside the temple, and do

not measure it, FOR IT HAS BEEN GIVEN TO THE NATIONS; AND

THEY WILL TREAD UNDER FOOT THE HOLY CITY FOR FOURTY TWO

MONTHS. (11:2)

And I will grant authority to my two witnesses, and they

will prophecy for TWELVE HUNDRED AND SIXTY DAYS, clothed

in sackcloth. (11:3) N.A.S.

And the woman fled into the wilderness where she had a

place prepared for her by God, so that she might be nourished

FOR ONE THOUSAND TWO HUNDRED AND SIXTY DAYS. (12:6)

And the two wings of the great eagle were given to the woman

in order that she might fly into the wilderness to her place,

where she was nourished for A TIME AND TIMES AND HALF A TIME,

from the presence of the serpent. (12:14) N.A.S.

JW EXPLANATION: Revelation helps us discover what the word "times" means in reference to the duration of Gentile domination (11:2). A "Time" equals a prophetic year of 360 days. A careful reading of these Revelation texts establish that 1260 days, 42 months, 3 1/2 years and 3 1/2 times are all equivalent terms. So if the prophetic 3 1/2 times or years of Revelation equals 1260 days, then the seven times of Nebuchadnezzar must equal twice this number or 2520 days.

TEXT 4: Numbers 14:33, 34; Ezekiel 4:5, 6

"And your children shall wander in the wilderness forty

years, and bear your whoredoms, until your carcases be

wasted in the wilderness.

After the number of the days in which ye searched the land

even fourty days, each day for a year, shall ye bear your

iniquities, even fourty years and ye shall know my breach

of promise. KJV. Numbers 14:33, 34

"For I have assigned you a number of days, corresponding to

the years of their iniquity, three hundred and ninety days;

thus you shall bear the iniquity of the house of Israel.

"When you have completed these, you shall lie down a second

time, but on your right side, and bear the iniquity of the

house of Judah; I have assigned it to you for forty days,

A DAY FOR EACH YEAR. N.A.S. Ezekiel 4:5, 6

JW EXPLANATION: Just as Nebuchadnezzar was ruled by a beastly mind for seven "times" or years before the Kingdom was restored, so to the gentile "times" of domination will equal 7 prophetic years consisting of 360 days each (ie. 7 x 360 = 2520 days). But the Numbers and Ezekiel texts establish that a day can substitute for a year. If this "year for a day" principle is applied, then the period of Gentile domination is not 2520 days but 2520 years. Adding 2520 years to the October 607 BCE. date when Jerusalem was destroyed and the "Gentile times" began, you arrive at October 1914 when the Kingdom of God was established by the invisible presence of Christ gloriously ruling in the heavens.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit