In Lima, Peru 15 year old JW child commits suicide

by discreetslave 13 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• discreetslave
    discreetslave

I'll translate the artcle since online translators did a terrible job. The link to the original article is below

Lima 8/3/2011

Constant problems with her parents in regards to her problems at school caused a 15 year old who congregated at a church of Jehovah's Witnesses, caused her to end her life by ingesting a potent dose of insecticide.

In the afternoon, during physical education classes, the girl asked her teacher for permission to go to the bathroom. But she went to his classroom, where she swallowed the poison. Within minutes, the teacher sent another of his students to look for her.

The minor was found by her friend in the classroom, twisting in pain on the floor. When the girl was found she said "I want to die, let me die".

Immediately, at 5: 00 p.m., the child was taken to hospital Archbishop Loayza, where she died.

According to the relatives of the minor, she had problems with discipline by which on two occasions, parents were summoned to the school. In the scene, police found no evidence of the envelope with the poison or a suicide letter. Now, they are looking on her Facebook page for signs of her suicide. http://diariocorreo.pe/nota/25829/quinceanera-se-mata-en-aula-de-su-colegio/

• cptkirk
    cptkirk

wow...that's wrenching....

did it say what type of poison this was? wondering where a 15 year old gets poison from.

i remember the scene from outside the superdome during hurricane katrina, where a guy was just dying right there in front of everyone on the ground. nothing they could do.

this situation happening in similar fashion, except there was no crisis which precluded medical resources. only the crisis in this poor child's mind and heart.

at 15 you should be running around happy, doing things with your friends, just so sad.

police found no evidence of letter or the poison? slightly odd

• No Room For George
    No Room For George

Hate to read these kinds of stories, JW or nonJW. Being young is no joke, and sometimes I say to myself, "If I could go back in time and...." Stories like this bring reality back home to me, because I don't want to go back to being a teenager. I had some fun, but I also had a lotta stress and worries, and some of it had nothing to necessarily do with the JW upbringing. Being a teenager sucks for many people regardless of any religious affiliation. At the same time though, being a JW teen does have its fair share of unnecessary stress too. I question the sanity of believing JWs who have children at times. Why bring a kid into such a rigid religion while having beliefs that there's about to be a Great Tribulation? Why put a young buck through that?

• discreetslave
    discreetslave

@cptkirk I corrected it to include that it was insecticide

• EmptyInside
    EmptyInside

What a sad story. I was depressed as a teen too,and thought of ending it all.

If I would have had a chance to talk to her,I could have told her,it gets better. Life has it's highs and lows,but tomorrow is another day.

• mummatron
    mummatron

That's so sad to hear of a 15 year old girl doing that. The very fact that she had some 'discipline issues' were no doubt her cries for help which went unheard.

When I was 17, one of my few JW friends of the same age from a neighbouring congregation attempted suicide by lethal overdose of pain meds and alcohol. It was covered up by her family and the elders. So much for being Jehovah's happy organisation!

• Gayle
    Gayle

Most sad,,and unfortunately, most JWs and their elders will only recommend for a troubled teenager to study the Watchtowers more and go in door-to-door more to fix it, creating only double the emotional pain.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

I considered it at that age. All I knew were my parents and the Watchtower. Sometimes now I wish I were young again --then, I remember what it was really like. 15 yrs old tend not to know alternatives, reach out for support from trusted people outside the family.

The poison should have been analyzed in an autopsy. A bit strange.

• talesin
    talesin

I remember telling my mother (at age 12) that I wanted to be dead. That's the way I felt all my life, until I got some help. Maybe this gurl was also being sexually abused -- when you heap that on top of the ridicule at school, and being JW and nowhere to turn, it's a powerful entry into the world of deep depression and TOTAL lack of self-worth.

I truly hate the WTBTS

t

• dm6

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit