Jehovah's Witnesses with OBVIOUS drinking problems?

by lovelylil 25 Replies latest jw friends

• lovelylil
    lovelylil

Hi guys, been a while since I've posted. Summer is VERY busy at my job, lots of OT, which is good because winter is SLOW and I barely get my f/t hours. Anyway, I HAD to post this to see if anyone has seen a similiar situation in their congregation.

I drive a lot for work, do home visits for a local visiting nurse association. I was about three towns away from my local area when I see an elder and his wife that attend the kh near my home (less than 1/4 mile from my house). These people do not work in the area I see them in and really would not know many people there so I am like hmmmm, wonder why this elder and his wife are here. I spotted them in a local shopping center getting out of their car........I was parked there taking a lunch break so I wait and see where they are headed.

Anyway, they go right into that towns local liquer store. I am still in parking lot when they come out with LOADS of booze in brown paper bags piled into a shopping cart and pack the booze into their cars! So I am thinking, could they be shopping for booze here so they are not seen by members of their congregation?

what say you?

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

I have never heard of Dubs being embarrassed buying booze.

I have been on duty free booze buying trips with them.

Maybe they were having a party.

Maybe they get a good deal at that store, or it stocks a treat that isn't available at their local.

• paulnotsaul
    paulnotsaul

In my area definitely. My brother-in-law whose an elder has a bar in the basement. And all the dogs are named after beers. I saw another elder at a beer tasting festival. I could go on and on. But, I think the point for me is I don't care what or how much they drink. Its the fact that their susposed to be 'Judges for Jehovah' according to their elders book. And there is a standard to abide by as an elder/christian. I like the line in the movie The Congo: "WE ARE WATCHING YOU!" I rest my case. peacetoall (and I do mean All) paulnotsaul

• Mr. Falcon
    Mr. Falcon

what up Lil?

I remember reading a comment on a similar thread a whiles back where somebody said that "Booze is the only vice allowed JWs, so they tend to indulge." This is absolutely true. Many appointed men (myself included, ashamedly) are big time drinkers. It may not be the healthiest way to deal with the paradoxes of being a J-dubb, but for most, it's sadly the only viable option. Good thread.

• lovelylil
    lovelylil

Hi Falcon,

I used to attend the same kh as this couple and we had a special needs talk about drinking too much at least twice a year. They used to live down the street from me and one day I stopped by unannounced just to say hello at like 2pm and they were sitting in their robes in the living room with two bottles of wine (one each I guess) drinking away.

I've also had many "friends" push booze on me at parties but since I had to drive home with two young kids, I always declined as did my hubby.

I am not against drinking, I like some wine too once in a while but I did see many over indulge in it. I agree that is one vice that many in the kh have, that and taking antidepressants. But really could we blame them? Being a witness is so repressive and suffocating, you need something to numb yourself.

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

Drinking alcohol is the only normal adult social activity JWs are allowed to engage in. There are a lot of JW drunks. It's how many of them get through the cognitive dissonance on a weekly basis.

I have known JW alcoholics who have only recovered once they left the Borg. While in they couldn't stop drinking. Too much pressure. Too much social influence because everybody drank.

• maisha
    maisha

Is there some restriction you thought was in place about the use of wine beer or spirits?.. none at all,,,,,,

Probably a party or just their own use......

They are not drunks as mentioned, but will drink in a modest way at times.

• thetrueone
    thetrueone

To say that all JWS adults are drunks would be total untruthful but there is a poignant fact thats

been mentioned already and that is this is one thing they are allowed to do is drink alcohol.

Being that is so you do come across certain individuals who exploit this availability more than they would other wise.

They are not drunks as mentioned, but will drink in a modest way at times.

Maisha sounds like a JW, so are words are a bit untruthful and bias toward the organization, as she has been duly indoctrinated to be.

• dozy
    dozy

I have to say that in my experience , JWs do tend to drink a lot more moderately than the population at large. On the occasions that I organised congregation get togethers or had JWs around , we always seemed to have too much drink left over at the end. I organised a JW wedding reception a few years ago and ended up carrying half the booze back home in my van. If the same number of non-JWs had been at the party , I'd have needed to replenish supplies after 20 minutes.

That's not to say that there isn't an occasional problem - I remember a sister who was an alcoholic & used to come to the meetings drunk that was eventually disfellowshipped a few years ago.

• GLTirebiter
    GLTirebiter

I suspect there's a common cause. Both alcohol and high-control groups can fill the same emotional holes; they are two different ways to cover up the pain. I'm not saying that this is always the case, or mostly the case--only that a significant number of people do need something to lean on, and either booze or the Watchtower can be that crutch.

Handle them with mercy: "There, but for the grace of God, go I!"

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit