What's the first thing you did when you got out?

by fallen_princess 15 Replies latest jw experiences

• fallen_princess
    fallen_princess

Hi All!

I was thinking about all the things I missed out on growing up as a JW. Many of those things I will never be able to do anyway, like join in any extracurriular activities or go to senior prom. But one of the first things I did when I got out if the Borg was join a ballroom dance class and go to a nightclub with some of the students in the class. It was a great experience to go to a club for the first time. Before I got married my perents would have never even dreamed about letting me go out anywhere even after I had turned 21. But at the same time I felt a little out of place being there and I don't go anymore because my husband doesn't dance and I feel weird not having him come with me. Now, I prefer staying home with him instead of going out with other people. it was not long at all before I got the clubbing thing out of my system; something in the neighborhood of probably five outings total! (lame, I know) I was wondering though, what was the first thing you guys did after you got out?

• talesin
    talesin

Went to every rock concert that came to town, as long as I could afford it, and still do.

t

• doofdaddy
    doofdaddy

I did a rush "catch up" for 20 lost years. New designer drugs? Yup, I'll give it a go. Hanging out with twenty something women? That sounds good. Travelling? OK. Clubbing? Spent many a night under the lasers, going deaf fast. Took about five years to get back to myself. All great experiences, even if some seemed negative at the time.

• troubled mind
    troubled mind

I made friends with several girls from work and they introduced me to bar activities . Soon one of the girls and her husband started going out with my husband and I ,and we found local bands to follow . I love to dance ,and have had many fun nights going out with friends dancing, and acting like the kids we never got to be in our youth . That first year was a bit wild as I figured out boundries for myself ,but I got a lot of things out of my system during that time with no regrets .

Right away I started celebrating my birthday, and those of my loved ones. I see no reason to pass up an occasion to share love and make memories . I also celebrated holidays right away with non-witness relatives ,and it felt great to behave as a normal human being during these warm family times .

Once I stopped attending meetings I immediately tried out anything I was too afraid of before ....attended Church services,signed up to vote (and then voted), went to movies that interested me no matter what the rating ,tore up my blood card and informed my Doctor of the change .

• wearewatchingyouman
  • WTWizard
    WTWizard

I caught up on all those bad songs I had to throw away upon becoming a witless--yes, some of them I had to "steal" by downloading from a peer to peer network. This was mostly because the 12" single versions of many songs have all but disappeared from CDs, and even the regular album versions of many songs are gone (they are often either missing or totally trashed). I bought them when possible, but when necessary I stole them. I think there are still 2 or 3 songs I cannot find the correct versions of, even by stealing.

After that, Christmas. Starting in 2006 with a few ornaments and dressing up a few large plants with a few lights, I went into the big time. In 2007, I got a great big Christmas tree. I drastically ramped up the lights and ornaments during 2007 and 2008, adding somewhat to them in 2009 and 2010 until I now have enough to get through a potential hyperinflation without having to worry about being short. I also greatly upgraded my Christmas tree star--from a color changing LED that cost 25 toilet papers to one that cost 60 toilet papers and has much better LEDs. Of course, as long as I stay in the place, they are not coming down.

I also loaded up on Christmas music. The vast majority of them I bought from iTunes or Napster. A few I couldn't find anywhere except on the peer to peer network--and there are still a few I heard that I don't remember enough of the lyrics to even begin searching. I have more than 700 of those things on various CDs and mini discs. That ought to pxxx off any witless that ever finds them.

I also got numerous other articles and books about religions and various other paradigms. These range from a few that deny the existence of God outside people's minds (to control others), to various Christian and non-Christian religious paradigms, to Crisis of Conscience. I have explored "spiritual" healing--not that it does any good, but it does offer a slap in Jehovah's face. Some of these include numerology, the "law of attraction", and various 2012 theories. I am not afraid of exploring one religion or philosophy and then looking at something that is its antithesis. Sure beats the spiritual feast famine I get at the Kingdumb Hell.

• mamamo
    mamamo

Lost my virginity at the age of 25. It was about time!

• mamamo
    mamamo

Oh yeah, celebrated Christmas openly for the first time.

• Glander
    Glander

Reported to my parole officer.

Oh, you mean the cult?

• The Oracle
    The Oracle

I started reading science books

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit