i could never understand what was "good " about the "good news "

by looloo 13 Replies latest jw friends

• looloo
    looloo

as someone recruited in my 20s and spent about 6 years "interested " though never baptised , i just felt depressed after the lovebombing i received at first , i felt trapped by knowing "the truth" and wished i hadnt heard about it . i couldnt understand what was good news about billions of innocents dying including poor children who have suffered enough in countries where there is famine etc... and all my relatives were doomed along with them ! i was a much happier person before i met jws believing you go to heaven after your death and live with god jesus and your loved ones . i ended up on anti depressants and it was years before i found out it was all bullshit !(thanks to this site ) did any of you think it wasnt really good news ?

• mythreesons
    mythreesons

I always thought it was only 'good news' for JW's and their loved ones that died, for everyone else it pretty much sux. Unless...they would die too, like right before the big A, then it was good news for them too.

But that was before I knew any better

• PenelopePaige
    PenelopePaige

I only studied with them a little while, about 8 months, and even though I felt , and still sometimes do feel, that they are "the truth", a paradise earth sounds very depressing to me. I don't want to live with lions and tigers and bears and Ned Flanders, I would prefer to go to Heaven! I much prefer the idea of the near death "Heaven" experiences I have read about from Christians, besides this Paradise earth business. I know it shouldn't depress me but it does. I'll never forget when my JW friend who I was studying with told me about Paradise earth and then looked at me wide-eyed and said, "Doesn't that sound wonderful!?" and I felt like crying. :(

• Wasanelder Once
    Wasanelder Once

Remember, all other people besides JW's are objectified as evil, killers, immoral and enemies of a peaceful earth. THEY are ruining the earth and have to go. ONce you buy into that all you see are the benefits. That horror is compartmenalized so that the lovely Picnic with a Panda World becomes all. You were a clear thinker who didn't buy into the BS as some of us did. Of course they got me quite young.

• paulnotsaul
    paulnotsaul

My wife and I were just talking about this. She almost got sucked in by me (a born in). She painfully described how the ORG. breaks who you are/were down to nothing. Then they violently build you up to their warped understanding. She equated it to psychological abuse. My wife is a born/breed Baptist. Its a touchy subject for her. She to wishes she was never introduced to this CULT. But she does love me. peacetoall paulnotsaul

• Sour Grapes
    Sour Grapes

It is good news because the Great Crowd will have

the priviledge of burying 99.9% of all of the earths

population after the GT and then living in an earthly

paradise that may take a 1,000 years of hard work

to accomplish, after disposing of all of the rubble from

the cities and towns that are destroyed.

It is also good new because in Paradise you will not

need to buy fertilizer because you will be stepping in

elephant and lion crap in you back yard.

Sour Grapes

• Ding
    Ding

I never could understand what was such good news about a religious system in which you are never good enough.

The treadmill never ends; it never slows down; it's always more, more, faster, faster.

No matter how many of the rules a JW keeps and no matter how much FS he or she does, by WT teaching a little laxness, a little slip, and you're doomed.

The new system is always imminent but never arrives.

The only finish line that doesn't keep moving away in this religion is death.

How different from the New Testament itself which offers rest (Matthew 11:28)!

In the NT, Jesus is the mediator between God and man. (1 Timothy 2:5).

The Watchtower system is one in which Jesus is the mediator for 144,000 only.

The Watchtower system is based on works.

The NT is based on grace (Ephesians 2:8-9).

The Watchtower system is based on guilt and condemnation.

The NT offers cleansing and forgiveness (Romans 8:1-4; 1 John 1:7-9).

The Watchtower system is one where Jesus made the down payment, but you have to keep up the installments.

In the NT, Jesus paid it all (1 John 2:2).

• cptkirk
    cptkirk

the good news about death from above, as if there wasn't enough death down below to start with.

ok lemme put my hostility and cynicism on the shelf for a second. the good news of jesus christ who said be good to eachother....then he said ok guys i'm leaving now...ILL BE RIGHT BACK THOUGH...in fact

When they persecute YOU in one city, flee to another; for truly I say to YOU, YOU will by no means complete the circuit of the cities of Israel until the Son of man arrives.

he was supposed to COME BACK before they were even done with israel 2,000 years ago? doh! yea read the bible, never know what you might find. like daniel was the head of the magic practicing priests.

• moshe
    moshe

The good news, is that you get to cheat death and live a perfect eternal physical life on a renewed Earth. JWs are hanging on with the thought that they won't have to die, like everyone else before them has died. JWs would worship a golden calf, if they thought that would give them eteranl life.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

I find the gospel message is good news. Christ is born human and God. Christ is crucified. Christ is risen. Christ will come again.

The WT message upset me greatly. Armageddon was the most unholy and evil vegeance of a minor god having a temper tantrum. The end of the world was near in secular life b/c of the H bomb. A moral god does not murder innocent children and other humans. Jehovah is satanic to me.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit