Something the "Watchtower" left out

by Doug Mason 38 Replies latest watchtower bible

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

Now enjoying 'Seven Thunders' thanks to VM44 -- Thank you! Good stuff.

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep
    If all this is true,

It isn't true. It's nothing but an internet myth, and if you look at recent literature and talk subjects for the Misery Skool, you will always find recent examples that contradict it.

If there has been no talk, or article, published for a year, there might be some grounds for speculation, but that hasn't happened yet.

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

I'm with BLACK SHEEP. Despite them relegating the 607-1914 chronology to an appendix in the Bible Teach book, from what I heard at the latest DC, they ARE NOT BACKING DOWN AT ALL as far as christ's messianic kingdom taking power in 1914. The way it was spun at my DC ( and so far no one is corroborating this) was that it was so happifying to be almost 100 years into Christ's millennial reign with only 90 yrs to go.

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

900 years to go. Sorry.

• VM44
    VM44

Doug Mason wrote:

"When part A-E of “Aid to Bible Understanding” came out, I sought the material referenced by the “Chronology” article.

For example, at page 327 the author wrote:
    “What is thought to be a memorial written either for the mother or the grandmother of Nabonidus, gives some chronological information for this period, but many portions of the text are damaged. In the following translation of one section (taken from Pritchard's Ancient Near Eastern Texts, pp. 311, 312), the words and figures in brackets represent the historian's attempts at restoring the damaged parts of the text. To appreciate how truly fragmentary the text is (etc., etc.)”

This was Pritchard's reference to the 1906 Adda-guppi stelae, which indeed were badly damaged, and years had been inserted by modern scholars.

However, on pages 560-561 of Pritchard's book I also read that identical but undamaged stelae had been discovered in 1956, and these confirmed the previously postulated dates. That meant that the author of Aid’s “Chronology” article did not reveal what Pritchard’s book actually said."

Ancient Near Eastern Texts (18.85MB, djvu format) http://www.mediafire.com/?y210mnmwwjz

• VM44
    VM44

Doug also mentioned that Joan Oats wrote a book about Babylon.

It is available at Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Babylon-Joan-Oates/dp/0500273847/

• AnnOMaly
    AnnOMaly

VM44, I've been after ANET for a long time. Recently, I managed to print screen a couple of pages I wanted, but the quality's not very good.

Although I needed to find and download a conversion tool as well, it's great to easily browse the book so ...

• VM44
    VM44

You are very welcome Ann. I am glad to have found something you had need of.

• Is this it?
    Is this it?

Marked for later

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit