"We aren't qualified to think for ourselves...."

by AllTimeJeff 26 Replies latest jw friends

• sabastious
    sabastious

No matter how sophisticated our brain is no one brain has the time, or possibly even the capacity, to learn everything. We are designed as/evolved into a pack species.

Human life isn't a riddle even though many ideologies claim it is.. Just think of life as like being marooned on a island with a bunch of diverse people. Each person is randomly born with genetic leanings towards different skill sets/ideologies. Each skill set and idealogy is useful. All opinions are valid, but only the opinions that are proven universal, by collective peer review, can be used as cornerstones for civilization.

It is not for ONE HUMAN to direct even his own step. It needs help from his brothers and sisters (community).

-Sab

• metatron
    metatron

Amazing, isn't it? They can actually denigate themselves in a way that would mean their faith is entirely meaningless.

If your own logic is flawed to that degree, you have no business telling anyone what is true or not. You lack the ability to distinguish such.

metatron

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

I remember years ago, we would discuss how people we met in the ministry often stated that they didn't look to deep at scripture becuase thats why we have a pastor. If they had questions they would go to their pastor. We thought it was lame at the time. I just didn't know back then that JW's walked in step with this reasoning. We don't need to think right?

• AllTimeJeff
    AllTimeJeff

No matter how sophisticated our brain is no one brain has the time, or possibly even the capacity, to learn everything. We are designed as/evolved into a pack species.

We don't have to be college educated experts on everything. That is impossible obviously. But for most matters, there is usually sufficient references available to familiarize oneself with the basics.

I hold people accountable for what they say, or post. That's all. If you don't know, there is nothing wrong with saying that and doing a little research.

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

well stated.

• blondie
    blondie

If I have seen further it is only by standing on the shoulders of giants.

ISAAC NEWTON

• sabastious
    sabastious

If it were just me marooned on an Island I would talk to volley balls too. We don't do too well on our own, at least it's not ideal.

-Sab

• FadeToGrey
    FadeToGrey

I love this tread. Yes JW"S have pounded into them all the time, to only follow and or read the society's pub's or guidelines.

Dont think for our selves, cos satan will get us whhpoooooooo..

Up your WTBS..you took 25 years from me u arsewipes...

• ziddina
    ziddina

Hah! I love this quote, too... From All Time Jeff's first post...

"...Today, religions and politicians live on stupidity like parasites. ..."

Too true, too true!!

• AGuest
    AGuest
    Today, religions and politicians live on stupidity like parasites.

I'm not sure that that's a new phenomenon, dear ATJ (the greatest of love and peace to you!). Both have been a major cause of much of mankind's ills for millenia. MUCH longer than the close to 2 millenia of organized "christianity." This is something that ticked me off about the WTBTS, though. Even before I realized what they were [not]. True, I believed what they were pushing... to some degree (not all)... because I didn't know where "else" to go. But... I had a brain (asleep though it may have been at the time). I don't know about other religions on a more than general scale, but I can CERTAINLY say that brains... meaning, intelligence of any level above 8th grade... ISN'T welcome in the WTBTS (outside of "Bethel"). To the contrary, it is not only frowned on, but the subject of talks from the platform, JC meetings, even "marking". I digress.

But thinking for ourselves really isn't limited to the empirical world, as many believe: it is necessary as to the spirit world, as well. HAS to be. "Directing one's steps", however, has nothing to do with thinking for oneself. The Most Holy One of Israel doesn't want robots - indeed, He WANTS us to think... and make choices. Which is why we have free will. The caveat is that we are RESPONSIBLE for our choices. Not Him... and not anyone else. True, others may have some responsibility for misleading us... but BEING misled, after a certain point in one's life... is really on such one and no one else.

I understand: nothing much has been "proven" beyond our physical world. Yet, scientists have NOT ruled out things beyond our world. Just as there are legitimate researchers as to the things of this world... there are those who are searching beyond. In that light, I ask you to consider that a LOT of stuff was stated by some who BELIEVED it... and, in some instances, were the ONLY ones who believed it... long, long... even many millenia... before it was "proven" by any physical "tests" or "tools/instruments."

We limit ourselves, however, when we believe only in what we can prove... NOW. And we limit others when we tell them that, although something IS true... that it ISN'T... until WE see proof. The earth was always round, dear one... even before anyone "proved" it. Primates always had the capacity to communicate (through sign language, etc.)... even before anyone "proved" it. Truth... is truth. Even if we don't have the means to PROVE it... yet.

If mankind has been around a long as some believe (6,000 years... or 6 millions years)... it's only in that last 100-200 years or so that much of what we "know"... has been "proven." We've still got a long way to go. Or... we can take the "short-cut".

Again, I bid you peace!

YOUR servant and a slave of Christ,

SA

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit