Thanks to Those That Went Before Us

by OnTheWayOut 35 Replies latest jw friends

• clarity
    clarity

Jerry, beautifully heartfully written. Thank you for a wonderful reflection for this day.

Thank you for your steady influence on here, I always read your posts.

In this year that I've been on jwn, sometimes it's just the smallest of comments that catch my eye ... and I think why did I not see that! Other times it's like Gangbusters, omg like getting hit by a bolt of lightening ... and my whole perception changes instantly.

Very importantly, the support has kept my spirits up. Living alone is difficult. Seems painfully so after having a housefull of children who need you, and now no one does. Not even the dog.

Dear Flipper has been a great influence on me. He notices everyone who responds to his thoughts and questions ... he had me at hello!

The first 'apostate' I ever talked to was Randy, he's done a huge amount of work and effort for all of us.

When I scan through the archives I'm just so impressed by all of those wonderful people with their amazing stories of survival ... hard to not break your heart most of them.

Thanks to all for your companionship on this long journey

clarity

• THE GLADIATOR
    THE GLADIATOR

I would also like to thank the many people who helped me leave, most of them are still Jehovah's Witnesses. I would also like to thank Jehovah for proving to me that he does not exist.

Mostly it was Randy Watters. When I left 26 years ago, there was little information and the web was yet to be invented in its present form. I had many doubts and pages of notes on what didn't add up. I did manage to find - Thirty Years a Watchtower Slave - in the public library.

Randy used to post Bethal Ministries all the way from the USA to the UK for me. He even published some of my letters. He made me feel validated. I owe him a huge thank you.

• discreetslave
    discreetslave

I can't find the right words to express the gratitiude I have for all who speak up. I was able to break free because of all the brave ones who went before me. I hate to think of the misery I would still be in if someone had not validated my feelings.

My heart goes out to the disfellowshipped who are sheepishly sitting in the back desiring an ounce of the fake love. They are so close to freedom. I want to pay it forward to honor those who went before me and the ones who will come after.

Thanks for the thread Jerry in Chicago from Eliza in Richmond.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

SBC, I like that. I know that tinkering with "generation" was a big help in my seeing the real truth.

NRFG, you are welcome.

sizemilk, thanks for your thoughts. That's what I was hoping for from comments- acknowledging those that really helped each person.

Botzwana, if I ever find myself there, I would stop in.

Violia, yes- street lamps for us.

Totally ADD, thanks to you and to all of them.

nugget, so true. No promises, yet they did help us.

Reopened Mind, great add-ons. Stories from others help immmensely.

b.o.c., I have said your thoughts about being crazy quite a few times before realizing it's them and not me.

Clarity, you are welcome. Yes, Flipper is awesome.

Gladiator, I could echo that first part. The net was there for me to get out, but you captured the thought about the help before that.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

If not for the ones who went before me, I have little doubt that I'd be sitting in a Kingdom Hall, this very morning, feeling profound guilt for not being good enough to survive Armageddon, holding a blind allegiance to a few strangers in Brooklyn.

• Quendi
    Quendi

I am most grateful for this forum because it has been a wonderful resource for me. I appreciate Jerry's sentiments about what it has done for him and the gratitude he feels toward others. I don't know all the people he mentioned, but their contributions live on in the postings of many people in this space. Additonally, I want to thank those of you who have reached out to me personally. That made me realize that I was not making this journey alone.

Randy Watters' website, freeminds.org, has also been invaluable. The correspondence I enjoyed there helped immeasureably. Lady Lee has been a tremendous help there as has Scott Terry. I also want to mention the good folks at A Common Bond for all their help, support, and counsel. I am very happy to claim my life before it was too late. I never would have been able to do that without the resources and encouragement I found here and elsewhere.

Quendi

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

discreetslave, you found the right words.

LWT, good thing for you. Huh?

• El Nunya
    El Nunya

I've been on these message boards since they started, and used to be more active. I would like to express my appreciation for those that sponsored places like Jesus Witnesses, Philia, Channel D, H2O, and the host of sites that have mushroomed from small beginnings. JWD/JWN, Topix, and JWS continue to be outlets for the desperation that's felt by those that are literally losing their religion. Names that stand out for me are of course Randy Watters, JanH, Norm, COMF, and AlanF; names that are rarely if ever seen anymore (except Randy). Their research and blunt honesty are characteristics that I much admire. So, thank you guys, if you happen to be reading this.

• Pams girl
    Pams girl

Thanks to all who have gone before me, those here now who saved me from myself, and for all those yet to come....THANK YOU ALL X

• Nickolas
    Nickolas

Gratitude is warranted, but in reality you took yourselves out of the Watchtower. In spite of all that good stuff done by altruistic people that aided you in your escape, millions more are still trapped inside because they cannot or will not take the initiative as you did. My wife included.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit