David and Goliath situation in Australia

by Aussie Oz 20 Replies latest jw friends

• Aussie Oz
    Aussie Oz

Yes, but thats merely what 'he says' or at least the papal Bullas 'say'.

Even if it was what 'god' says, it matters not in a case of civil law in Australia surely?

that doesn't mean the world sees it that way.

There is no paper trail leading from Brooklyn to Rome...

oz

• cameo-d
    cameo-d

There is no paper trail leading from Brooklyn to Rome...

oz

YES THERE IS!

• cameo-d
    cameo-d

Aussie:

"

Yes, but thats merely what 'he says' or at least the papal Bullas 'say'.

Even if it was what 'god' says, it matters not in a case of civil law in Australia surely?"

Well, I don't know about the civil law in Australia. But there is evidence that according to Ecclesiastical Canon Law, the Pope has the power to veto any law in *certain countries* and that all laws in place are by his tacit consent.

Aussie:

"that doesn't mean the world sees it that way."

You have probably agreed to it through some unknown clause in a contract whether you realize it or not. A silent adhesion within the terms of an official contract.

• Aussie Oz
    Aussie Oz

well i hope in the end then somebody is strong enough to follow the trail of blood all the way and bring it all down then!

so, back to topic...

anyone able to name some goliaths that have colapsed from one individuals pursuit, or a minority group or a government hunt?

besides Nixon...

oz

• TotallyADD
    TotallyADD

I can tell you this. Before I quit being a elder I would tell certain friends of mine about the child abuse that has taken place in the JW cult. Many were shock and did not know anything about it. It is kind of a hidden secret among the friends only some of the elders know about it. When I would talk to CO's about it they were always surprise I knew anything about it. Fact was I only knew what I have seen in our area congregations not the world wide problem. The point I am getting at is if this gets out into the main stream news and the WT cult is exposed to all to see. This will shake the faithful to their very bone. Most do not know about this big problem with child abuse. I said from the very beginning back in the early 90's when a very public child abuse case in the Tampa Bay area broke out that the WT should be very open with it and clean up the mess. But instead they went into denial and set up road blocks everywhere to stop any imformation from coming out. They just don't get it as leaders of a large religious organization you cannot allow children being hurt and think you will get away with it. Eventually you have to pay the price. Totally ADD

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

Big corporations have been crippled by tort litigation. Last nght I watched a documentary concerning the Ramapo Indians in No. Jersey near Ringwood where Ford dumped many tons of toxic waste. The EPA barely went through superfund motions. It happens rarely but it can happen.

So much in Australia makes no sense to me. It sounds as tho the govt. invited the Witnesses to comply but did not have the will to enforce registration. If a citizen has the standing to force registration and liability for failing to register both the Witnesses and the ineffectual government would be taken to task. I see multiple problems. I know little about Australia.

In my own life, I am plagued by government agencies not deciding my cases. If they denied me, I could appeal. They purposely don't move. I had multiple hearings over years to receive Social Security benefits. I could have been on the streets. Lawyers, Congressional concerns could not make them decide. A rare legal order was needed but I had no funds for a lawyer. I could have done it myself but then I am not disabled. After four years, my US Senator was furious. I finally had my Social Security. This is lawless. The same thing is happening with me with another agency now.

I would not bet on this legal gambit succeeding. It is interesting and maybe could succeed. Comapnes have gone bankrupt with tort liability.

• Chariklo
    Chariklo

I think the trouble is that paedophiles exist everywhere, and in societies that function within a privilege and power set-up the system gives individuals free reign to exercise their proclivities and conceal it, abusing their power and frightening victims in order to cover it up. It's the worse because of the psychological pressures used.

Oz, higher up the thread you wrote

seeing that the Catholic church has survived its battles

I don't think it has necessarily survived, you know. Hitherto Catholics are voting with their feet, closing their pursestrings and walking. In Ireland, the state is all out to investigate ever more ruthlessly, and will require priests to break the seal of the confessional, even between brother priests.

http://www.catholicculture.org/news/headlines/index.cfm?storyid=11031

I suspect we may even now be only at the beginning of wide exposure of cover-ups of religious corruption of various kinds, including and most especially paedophiliac abuse.

• sabastious
    sabastious
    All the publicity focused on the Catholic Church doesn't seem to have hurt them overall, it's almost like these behemoths grow so big that nothing touches them.

The Watchtower is chump change when comparred to the Catholic Church.

-Sab

• Chariklo
    Chariklo

I'll second that, Sab.

And I'll go further. The Watchtower is absolutely correct in its denunciation of the Catholic Church, which, when it comes to deception and hypnosis of the masses (small m) holds the all-time top prize.

• sizemik
    sizemik

The case in Australia while being brought initially by a private citizen, is not a civil case decided by the rule of tort. No injury needs to have taken place.

It's a criminal prosecution based on compliance with a State Law. It's more comparable to being stopped while driving an unregistered motor vehicle. You can still be reported for doing so by a private citizen. If you believe your motor vehicle is exempt . . . you have to establish that, within the terms of the Act of law that requires you to otherwise do so. This is where the WTS stand. The only thing in the WTS's favour, is that this is relatively new legislation and remains untested as to compliance and enforcement. The "David and Goliath" comparison is oversimplified in that respect.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit