Which did you like better: The Watchtower or Awake? ...and why?

by JimmyPage 21 Replies latest jw friends

• JimmyPage
    JimmyPage

I always liked the Awake better because it wasn't as preachy.

Less analyzing of what minute thing some guy in a robe and sandals did thousands of years ago and its application for our day.

The Awake seemed more secular and less dogmatic.

I know it was designed that way on purpose, but which magazine did you lean towards and why?

Did some of you enjoy reading more about "the spiritual courtyard" and whatnot in the WT?

• EmptyInside
    EmptyInside

I must say,I liked the Watchtower better. There were articles in the Awake that didn't interest me at all,and I felt guilty if I didn't read the mags from cover to cover.

My favorite articles in the Watchtower,were the ones that talked about the "inner person" etc. They really don't write articles like that anymore. They just don't carry much substance ,in my opinion. I don't know if it's because I'm mentally out,or they just don't have quality writing.

• TotallyADD
    TotallyADD

With my degree from JWU I like reading the Awake. With my degreee I was able to understand the simple format the Awake has. I was able to understand all the facets of science and life according to the WT. Just a few months ago I learned all about computers and how they work. I have learned how evil this world really is by reading watching the world. Yes you to can have a degree at JWU. Just read only the Awake and nothing else and you will be just a intelligent as the GB. LOL Seriously I never liked the WT. As a born-in reading all that gloom and doom would make me sick. The Awake at lease had something else to think about besides the WT ideas on the Bible. Totally ADD

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

Both were bad, but at least the Asleep! rag had a few mildly entertaining (if misleading) articles. Usually, the science or culture articles were at least mildly entertaining--though you can do better with a quick online search.

However, occasionally I would find a few Washtowel articles that were somewhat entertaining. However, those articles always meant massive and unnecessary changes in lifestyle or that I was not getting what I wanted out of life. Better when you don't have to actually obey them. Usually, they are just a complete waste of time reading--and more of a waste discussing.

• THE GLADIATOR
    THE GLADIATOR

Now that I am grown up - I don't read comics.

• JimmyPage
    JimmyPage

LOL Gladiator... wasn't it Chris Rock who called them "a comic book about God"?

• NomadSoul
    NomadSoul

I liked the Awake better. I immediately went to the back and read Observing the World, and questions from readers.

• outsmartthesystem
    outsmartthesystem

Awake - Less dogmatic interpretation of scripture and forced doctrine and more educational tidbits on geography/nature etc.

• White Dove
    White Dove

I liked A! better because it wasn't as preachy.

When the UN scandal broke out, I went to their website and it had all the pictures and articles about nature and such that the A! had.

No wonder the science and nature articles were so interesting, if just a bit slanted toward the WTS's agenda.

They copied and pasted from the UN website!

• cantleave
    cantleave

Awake - it was like doing a degree course!!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit