How many of us are in a Helping Field??

by lydia 16 Replies latest jw friends

• Kenneson
    Kenneson

I run a Soup Kitchen, thus helping the homeless, drug addicts, alcoholics, etc.

• Celtic
    Celtic

As many here know I work with an independent UK pro-active think tank assisting individuals and communities suffering from social exclusion and regenerating community regeneration, from the grass roots level out.

As well as developing my own social enterprise model, I also work with The Radical Arts Foundation assisting unemployed persons to 'find themselves' through the many mediums of art, especially performance theatre.

* http://www.can-online.org.uk
    [email protected]

Peace

Mark

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

When I was young - pre-borg - I wanted to help abused kids when I grew up. Well my mother forced me to quit high school so that was the end of that dream - It's pioneering for you.

Well while I was in I learned sign language and was an interpreter in the congregation for a lot of years. I loved that and it satisfied my need to help others.

After I left it was pretty easy to find jobs interpreting but for one job I had I was told I needed my papers so I went back to school. After my first semester I realized I did not want to work within the disabled community. My old dream of working with those who were abused as children reawakened. So... I focused all my courses on abuse issues and worked in that counseling survivors of abuse for a lot of years.

Well when working with childhood abuse issues I eventually wound up working with people who had been in Satanic cults. This started my research on cults. My work also involved dealing with emotional abuse issues. And one day someone perked my attention about the borg and mind control. Open Sesame - the flood gates opened and I haven't been the same since - I'm free and have my mind back.

At the time when I first started researching the borg and cults I could find very little information about it. Most of the psychology and sociology research focussed on psyco/social issues and there was little to connecxt the two. Religious research focussed on a religios definition of cults. But slowly info from Freeminds and Randy exploded into the world and was a huge help in bringing the various streams of research together. It has been wonderful to find so much information that adds a sound basis for study of the problem of cults, an excellent working definition and the basis for understanding how a high demand group uses mind control techniques to gain new converts and maintain a high level of control over their members.

Thank you Randy, Jan, Ray, Margaret, and all the others who laid the groundwork to understanding and freedom

Rejoice in the healing and not in the pain.
    Rejoice in the challenge overcome and not in the past hurts.
    Rejoice in the present - full of love and joy.
    Rejoice in the future for it is filled with new horizons yet to be explored. - Lee Marsh 2002

• wonderwoman77
    wonderwoman77

I replied to your last post, I am in school to be an occupational therapist

• lydia
    lydia

Everyone -
    I hink that instead of think of it as a "curse of the Borg" we should realize that this show's that those who have loving and kind hearts were attracted to this way of life...
    Now we have evolved and are able to do the things we love!!!!
    I was an Occupational therapy assistant ( which WW is studieng - go for IT!!) I enjoyed the time I spent helping others.

now I get to help my children grow as a stay at home mother - I wonder who I see for a vacation??hummmm??
    Anyhow - I think it shows the best in us!!

thanks all!!

Lyd

• Solace
    Solace

I work at our local Community Action Agency.
    I work in the office but I also help during food distributions and various other programs designed to help low income families and seniors. Our office provides services like, personal and respite care, cleaning service, home weatherization, people facing eviction from their homes or disconnections on their heat or electric services can also recieve financial assistance through our agency. Im not rich but I cant think of anything I would rather be doing.
    I have always worked with the public, I dont know if it has anything to do with me having been a J.W. or not. I guess I never gave it much thought. Interesting topic though.

• DanielHaase
    DanielHaase

As I stated in your last thread, I'm a Cild/Adolescent Psych Registered Nurse. Going to college to get my nursing degree was the the best thing I could have done; I was a witness at the time, but school opened up a whole other world. I minored in biology, which those in my congregation hated because of my views on evolution. But anyway, I'm rambling..I love my work and love working with those little people.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit