Favourite Muffin Recipe??

by Broken Promises 21 Replies latest social entertainment

• Broken Promises
    Broken Promises

hi,

I'm looking for a really tasty, easy to make, muffin recipe. Do you have a favourite?

It can be any flavour - chocolate, choc-chip, apple, fruit, savoury, you name it!

Thanks in advance.

• blondie
    blondie
    APPLE CINNAMON MUFFINS
    Ingredients

• 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
    • 3/4 cup white sugar
    • 1/2 teaspoon salt
    • 2 teaspoons baking powder
    • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    • 1/3 cup vegetable oil
    • 1 egg
    • 1/3 cup milk
    • 2 apples - peeled, cored and chopped
    • 1/2 cup white sugar
    • 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
    • 1/2 cup butter, cubed
    • 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
    Directions

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Grease six muffin cups or line with paper muffin liners.
    2. Stir together 1 1/2 cup flour, 3/4 cup sugar, salt, baking powder and 1 teaspoon cinnamon. Mix in oil, egg and milk. Fold in apples. Spoon batter into prepared muffin cups, filling to the top of the cup.
    3. In a small bowl, stir together 1/2 cup sugar, 1/3 cup flour, butter and 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon. Mix together with fork and sprinkle over unbaked muffins.
    4. Bake in preheated oven for 20 to 25 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into center of a muffin comes out clean.
  • blondie
    blondie

CARROT SPICY MUFFINS

Ingredients

• 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
    • 1 tablespoon baking powder
    • 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
    • 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
    • 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
    • 1/4 teaspoon salt
    • 1 cup brown sugar
    • 2/3 cup white sugar
    • 1 cup flaked coconut
    • 2 eggs
    • 1/2 cup vegetable oil
    • 1/2 cup buttermilk
    • 3 carrots, grated
    • 1 (8 ounce) can crushed pineapple, with juice
    • 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
    • 1 cup sifted confectioners' sugar
    • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    • 2 tablespoons buttermilk
    Directions

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Lightly grease 2 muffin pans, or use paper liners.
    2. In a large bowl, mix together flour, baking powder, 2 teaspoons cinnamon, 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg, allspice and salt. Mix in brown sugar, white sugar and coconut. In a separate bowl, combine eggs, oil, 1/2 cup buttermilk, carrots, pineapple, and vanilla. Make a well in the middle of the flour mixture and add the egg/buttermilk mixture. Mix until batter is moistened. Fill muffin cups 3/4 full.
    3. Bake in preheated oven for 20 to 25 minutes, or until the tops spring back when lightly tapped. Allow to cool.
    4. In a small bowl, combine confectioners' sugar, 1 teaspoon cinnamon and 2 to 3 tablespoons buttermilk. Mix until smooth, then refrigerate until thickened. Drizzle over cooled muffins.
  • Broken Promises
    Broken Promises

Thanks Blondie! That carrot one sounds yummy!

• clarity
    clarity

I have a million recipes and ....dozens of flat little discs that don't look at all like the pictures!! Darn.

Never make muffins that rise high in the tins. Don't know why. Am I mixing them wrong? Oven too hot?

What am I doing wrong? Lemon poppy seed are my favorite but only if they are more like ... cup cakes.

clarity

• talesin
    talesin

Are you over-mixing them? They are not like cake batter, which should be beaten.

t

• clarity
    clarity

Nope, but is there such a thing as having too baking powder? I always think if a little is good .... more is even better!

c

• talesin
    talesin

Yes, and no no no, never, no more!

Baking is more scientific than cooking,,, recipes are chemical formulas. Too much baking soda will make them have a bitter aftertaste and definitely affect the way they rise.

I know everyone has their recipe they don't have to measure, but till you get it 'down pat', follow directions as precisely as you can.

Also, humdity can affect any product that 'rises' -- try baking on a 'clear' day, and see how it turns out. Also, you can pick up an oven thermometer at your local grocery store for a couple bux. Then you will know for sure if when the dial says 350, it is correct, and adjust.

:D

tal

• talesin
    talesin

haha, can you tell I miss baking?

• Broken Promises
    Broken Promises

Baking is more scientific than cooking,,, recipes are chemical formulas.

I agree. Any type of cooking uses science to produce the results we want. At school I studied home science and it was about the science of cooking - chemicals, osmosis, balancing of one ingredient against another...

It's funny but even now, over 25 yrs later, and I can still hear my teacher explaining various processes while I'm cooking...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit