COGNITIVE DISSONANCE

by sizemik 8 Replies latest jw friends

• sizemik
    sizemik

For those who may have heard the term "cognitive dissonance" and are not really fully familiar with it . . .

Carol Tavris, is a social psychologist and writer of the book "Mistakes Were Made (but not by me)". Here she is interviewed about cognitive dissonance theory and confirmation bias. It's a very clear and understandable discussion. It will be quite revealing in particular, for why we might have been a believing JW for so long . . . why JW leadership can be so destructive . . . and even why we hold to certain views today.

Be warned . . . you may not see yourself or even JWN in quite the same way ever again (but only in a good way)

See what you think . . .

http://www.forgoodreason.org/mp3_player/popup.html?theTrack=25

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

I will check it out soon. "Mistakes Were Made..." is one of my favorite books. Thanks.

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

SIZEMIK - if you like 'Mistakes Were Made'.... you would also like 'The Believing Brain' by Michael Shermer.

...will watch the vid on my desktop... doesn't play on my iPostatePad....

• sizemik
    sizemik

@OTWO . . . for someone familiar with the book . . . you will love this interview. There's something about dialogue that sews a lot of comprehensive ideas together very simply. I'll be really interested to hear your thoughts.

@B of C . . . The Believing Brain hasn't made it's way under my nose yet . . . but thanks for the heads up. I'll be interested to hear your thoughts on the interview also.

What I think is valuable about this interview . . . is that we can get a firm grasp of the concept so quickly and easily . . . without necessarily doing a heap of reading. So anyone who is not a great reader, a bit pressed for time, or not particularly lit up by the subject matter . . . please . . . listen to the interview . . . you won't regret it. Understanding these concepts is a great healer . . . and a wonderful life tool.

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

Size--I've been listening to it for 40 minutes now. FASCINATING and I haven't read the book. I'm still getting a great deal out of it. The other topics look intriguing too.

NC

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

Sizemik--great interview. While listening to it, this song kept coming to mind. I thought you might find it interesting. I may have posted it before---not sure.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0W7Jbc_Vhw

• sizemik
    sizemik

Ha Ha . . . loved the video NC . . . that diplomacy dyke can be hard to keep intact at times LOL

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

LOL == I FINALLY got to see him live --- he kind of avoids the US. I think he thinks we are all fundies, but he's learning---and he did a wonderful job. He stood holding a glass of red wine and made excellent expressions. I don't credit Tim Minchin with turning me into an atheist, but he certainly opened my mind. My brother was sneaky. He knows I love irony, so he made me listen some relatively benign songs by the guy. That led to me listening to more---then I listened to some that hurt my conscience---then more and I kept telling myself it was just the irony I was enjoying, seeing things from another's perspective----then I quit lying to myself and realized he was my new idol. LOL

NC

• Pams girl
    Pams girl

Thanks MS for the info and keeping us spiritually clean from the JW garbage, a great interview!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit