Just checking in to let people know how I'm doing.

by JonathanH 12 Replies latest jw friends

• JonathanH
    JonathanH

I haven't been around lately on account of having been very busy the past few weeks, and it's only going to get busier. This place gives me a needed sense of community, so I thought I would just check in to let everyone know what I've been up to.

One thing I've been up to is matriculating. I'm officially enrolled in college now, and my first day will be August 15. I haven't decided for certain on my major, but my advisor said that it's my first semester so not to worry too much about it, I'm just going through general college education for now anyway. I am either going to go into an engineering field (leaning towards electrical engineering) or a Chemistry field (maybe Biochemistry), but I keep leaning toward one or the other depending on the day of the week. I'm starting with only 13 credit hours (12 being the minimum for full time status)to get my feet wet since I am also working full time to pay the bills. My first classes will be English 101, Computer Science 100, Math 150 (I was happy that after testing I qualified to go straight to 150, and didn't need to do lower math courses), and Biology 112 with Lab.

I am anxious and excited and having to wait almost another month for classes to start is killing me. I'm trying to relax and enjoy this last month of relative peace and relaxation before my schedule gets stupid hectic, but I find it hard. I really just want to get started. I'm never going to have a day off once I get going, I'm going to have to work, go to school, or both every day of the week, plus homework and projects. So I am going to be busier than I have ever been in my life. But I think I'm up to the challenge. I got my new laptop for school, and my wife took me clothes shopping so that I would look "cute" for my first day of school. She's being fantastically supportive of my efforts and is very proud of me.

Everything is going really good. But given the circumstances you'll have to understand if I am scarce around here shortly. I know I'm not exactly the center of attention around here, but I know at least a few people actually notice me around here. I'll check in every once and a while during a homework break or something, and let you guys know how I am doing, and find out how everyone here is doing on their own personal journeys. Anyway, that's what's going on with me lately. I hope everything is well with everyone else here.

• d
    d

Same thing here I return to work at 7 p.m today and will not be able to post for a few days.

• Glander
    Glander

Jonathan, sounds like you've got your priorities in good order. Congrats on the acaemic pursuits. We will cover for you in the Great XJW jihad until you can get back to active duty.

"Stay thirsty my friend,"

G

• willyloman
    willyloman

Jonathan, congratulations on a smart move. In addition to learning a marketable skill, college will teach you critical thinking and the ability to see different points of view. It will also thrust you into the social lives of all sorts of people and teach you much about human nature. It will smooth all the rough corners you acquired in your dub life. And when you've completed the course, the sense of achievement is something no one can take from you.

It does seem like a long journey starting out, but learn the wisdom of Confucius: "A journey of a thousand miles begins with the first step."

• Quendi
    Quendi

I hope you know you can count on my full support, JonathanH. I am as excited as you and your wife are about your return to school. As British explorer Stanley Livingstone once remarked, "I am willing to move in any direction whatsoever as long as it is forward." Please keep us apprised as to your progress.

Quendi

• JonathanH
    JonathanH

Thanks for the support everyone, I am greatly looking forward to the college experience. I am a bit daunted by the length of the journey, I cannot lie. I've been married for five years (going on six) and I won't graduate with my B.S. for another four to five years. For a young whippersnapper of twenty six years of age, this seems like a very extended length of time. Especially given that I will be firing on all cylinders with a job, a wife, a mortgage to pay while I'm taking these courses. And the courses are only going to get harder as I go. Either direction I take, I'm guessing vector calculus or chem 450 are not walks in the park. I keep dreaming about getting my masters or my Ph.D but I need to be a bit grounded and realize the difficulty of the path right in front of me before I can even begin to take such lofty goals seriously.

I am intimidated by it, but I am up for the challenge. Either way it's going to be an enriching experience that will make me a better person for it. Wish me luck, and I'll be sure to let you guys know how it's going as I'm working on it.

• cantleave
    cantleave

I love to see people moving forward and starting to live life. Well done JH!!

• Magwitch
    Magwitch

So happy for you Johnathan!

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

Great news, Jonathan. Thanks for the update.

It makes my day when I see someone getting stuck in and getting on with a real life outside the bOrg.

Cheers

Chris

• Quendi
    Quendi

Don't let vector calculus scare you, JonathanH. You should manage rather well. Is Chem 450 a course in physical chemistry? The catalogue number makes me think it might be. If it is, you might be wise to have a course in differential equations under your belt before taking that on. But all of that is in the future. Take this one step at a time and you'll be fine. Much of your future course work seems to be already mapped out since you have a good idea of which major(s) you prefer. That's one great advantage of going to college at age twenty-six rather than eighteen. You have a clearer idea of what you want to study. Good luck!

Quendi

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit