The Economics Thread

by sabastious 63 Replies latest social current

• james_woods
    james_woods

What if it were food from a farm market instead of lumber from a lumberyard?

The buyer of the food used profit which he made somewhere else to buy the food.

Maybe Jim was the food seller, and used the profit he made on the food to buy lumber from the lumber seller.

Maybe the buyer of the food was in fact the lumber seller.

Or, visualize that that there might be dozens, even hundreds of intermediate buyers and sellers. So, the profit goes round and round.

This is what we would call in the computer world a recursion loop.

This is the way economics works.

• sabastious
    sabastious
    Or, visualize that that there might be dozens, even hundreds of intermediate buyers and sellers. So, the profit goes round and round.

It goes "round and round" until the profit comes to someone who turns it into something unprofitable, or merely squanders it, and then it's lost forever correct?

-Sab

• botchtowersociety
    botchtowersociety
    Jim's house project does not increase the value of the property he lives on once completed. Jim has just lost $50.00 has he not? He has $100.00 worth of lumber and spent $150.00 for it.

That depends. If the retail price is $150, and Jim bought retail, he has not lost $50. Frank might buy wholesale, which has bulk pricing. Jim doesn't buy in bulk, since he is a retail buyer. The retail price includes more than Frank's markup. It likely includes shipping and storage at Frank's store in Jim's community. Frank's price isn't just $100 he paid wholesale, it is $100 plus costs.

Also, what if the project was not to raise the value of the house, but to increase Jim's comfort and well being? In that case, yes, he did spend $150 on lumber, but only because he judges the value of what he gains as worth more than $150.

And that last sentence is the most important one. Just about all economic transactions are ultimately tied to increasing wellbeing and comfort.

Obviously it's worth, to Jim, exactly what he paid for it.

That is the wrong answer. If it is worth exactly that much to Jim, why make the trade? No one bothers to do a trade to stay in the same place. Everyone makes a trade because they perceive that it improves their position in some way.

BTS

• sabastious
    sabastious
    What if it were food from a farm market instead of lumber from a lumberyard?

Food comes from an infinite source and should be treated differently I think. The lumber has to be "refined", but the food can be eaten as soon as it's picked.

-Sab

• sabastious
    sabastious
    That depends. If the retail price is $150, and Jim bought retail, he has not lost $50. Frank might buy wholesale, which has bulk pricing. Jim doesn't buy in bulk, since he is a retail buyer. The retail price includes more than Frank's markup. It likely includes shipping and storage at Frank's store in Jim's community. Frank's price isn't just $100 he paid wholesale, it is $100 plus costs.

If one "marks up" a price just to yield a profit that doesn't necesarrily mean a profit was legitimately earned. Retail seems like and easily exploitable system me.

-Sab

• botchtowersociety
    botchtowersociety

If one "marks up" a price just to yield a profit that doesn't necesarrily mean a profit was legitimately earned. Retail seems like and easily exploitable system me.

If the buyer and the seller agree on price, and the transaction is free and open and not forced or fraudulent, then the profit is legitimately earned. Always. If Jim doesn't like the price, he can check other retailers. If he doesn't like retail, he can drive out of his way and pay wholesale for a larger amount of product than he needs. If Jim has carefully considered all the factors, he has determined that $150 is his best price.

• botchtowersociety
    botchtowersociety

Food comes from an infinite source and should be treated differently I think. The lumber has to be "refined", but the food can be eaten as soon as it's picked.

Other than the time required to replace what is harvested, what is the fundamental difference between lumber from a tree and, say, corn from a plant?

• sabastious
    sabastious

Check this article out (source):

How Much is My Site Worth?

by Daniel Scocco

This post is part of the weekly Q&A section. Just use the contact form if you want to submit a question.

Will asks:

People regard the amount of subscribers a blog has as a good indicator as to how successful the blog is in terms of popularity and monetary values. However I was wondering what your view on a blog’s value.

I am not sure if people really regard the number of subscribers as a good indicator of the monetary value of a site or blog. At least they shouldn’t.

I think the number of RSS subscribers is a good indicator of popularity and reach, but not of the monetary value of a website. A large RSS subscribe can add a premium to the valuation, but it is not the main factor affecting it.

So how much is a website or blog worth? The basic answer, which my friend Yaro Starak gave a while ago, is the following: Your site is worth as much as someone is willing to give you for it.

I agree with this definition because value is something subjective. For some people the ticket for the final match of the World Cup is worthless, because they don’t like soccer. I am a soccer fan, and therefore I would be willing to pay quite a sum of money for the tickets (especially if Brazil was playing in the final!).

The same is true for websites. A specific site might be worth $1,000 for someone and $10,000 for someone else. It depends on how well the site fits with the person’s business and future plans.

That being said, there is one factor that will have a large impact upon the valuation of your site: its earnings.

The most common mistake that I see people making is to assume that their site is worth a lot just because it has “potential.” Potential does not sell websites, earnings do.

Of course there are extreme situations where the potential could be taken into consideration. For example suppose you have a website that generates 50,000 daily page views but does not make any money because the owner never monetized it. That site certainly could be sold based on a estimation of how much it could earn.

But even in that case buyers would get suspicious. They would ask themselves how come the owner never tried to monetize such a huge traffic, and they would also need to estimate the potential earnings on the lower side.

Earnings equal revenues minus costs. Most websites have a really lost maintenance cost, though, so usually the revenues and the earnings will produce almost the same valuation.

Now, if my sites earns $x monthly, how much is it worth?

A good starting point is 24 times the monthly earnings. That is equivalent to two years of earnings. If your site earns $2,000 monthly, therefore, its initial valuation would be at $48,000.

Notice that this multiplier is usually applied to established websites, though. If your website is less than one year old, then you probably would need to consider a smaller multiplier, say 16x or even 10x monthly earnings. A site that was launched six months ago and makes $500 monthly would therefore be worth around $6,000.

Premium websites, on the other hand, can use larger multipliers, including 36x or even 48x monthly earnings.

On top of that initial valuation you can obviously include other factors, including the quality of the domain name, the existing brand, the number of RSS or email subscribers, the amount of organic traffic and so on.

So if I have a website I can sell it for however much someone wants to buy it for. How is that a good plan? Don't we have the capability of finding out exactly how much all websites have been sold for and generating an algorithm by it? The free market will just try to get it or sell it for what it's NOT worth, right?

-Sab

• sabastious
    sabastious
    Other than the time required to replace what is harvested, what is the fundamental difference between lumber from a tree and, say, corn from a plant?

Trees grow slower than corn I guess. It's much harder to harvest trees on your property than corn.

-Sab

• botchtowersociety
    botchtowersociety

So if I have a website I can sell it for however much someone wants to buy it for. How is that a good plan? Don't we have the capability of finding out exactly how much all websites have been sold for and generating an algorithm by it? The free market will just try to get it or sell it for what it's NOT worth, right?

We do not have access to perfect information. Websites vary in perceived value because of many different factors. They are not cookie cutter.

All trades take place due to a difference of opinion. At an agreed upon price, a seller sells because he judges what he is selling to be worth less to him than what he gets in return. A buyer buys because he judges what he is buying to be worth more to him than what he gives up for it.

In the Jim/Frank case, the lumber is worth less to Frank than the $150 he gets for it, and to Jim, it is worth more than the $150 he gives up for it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit