The Economics Thread

by sabastious 63 Replies latest social current

• sabastious
    sabastious

Jim has a job stacking boxes for a courier company. Frank has his own business selling lumber. Jim has a house project so he needs some lumber. Jim goes to Frank's business and purchases some lumber. The lumber Jim purchases costed Frank $100.00 to buy and he sells it to Jim for $150.00. Frank makes a $50.00 profit and Jim gets lumber for his house project.

Jim's house project does not increase the value of the property he lives on once completed. Jim has just lost $50.00 has he not? He has $100.00 worth of lumber and spent $150.00 for it.

This system does not seem self sustaining to me.

-Sab

• r51785
    r51785

Unless of course the lumber purchased prevented the house from losing $150 in value (repair of a fence perhaps). But don't ask me, I'm just John Maynard Keynes, what would I know about Economics.

• Berengaria
    Berengaria

Sir, you do not post nearly enough

• talesin
    talesin

Yes, and that is why, eventually, capitalism (unimpeded by emphasis on the common good) implodes. We are living it right now, in our society.

Technology could be our salvation, but greed ensures that it is mainly used for purposes of acquiring wealth.

t

(not an Ayn Rand fan)

• Berengaria
    Berengaria
    (not an Ayn Rand fan)

word up

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

This system does not seem self sustaining to me.

You didn't mention a "system" in the earlier part of your post. What "system" specifically are you talking about?

• WhatWasIThinking
    WhatWasIThinking

While he may have lost $50 on the project itself it doesn't mean it didn't add $50 or more in value. It didn't add value to the house. Let's say he built a little bar and entertaining area in his backyard. If he has guests over twice a month and makes it BYOB and that keeps him from going to the bar twice a month for entertainment he will quickly recoup the $50, possibly the first time he has people over.

Something also does not have to provide monetary value to have value to the person. A lot of things people buy add no value. Just about anything you buy new loses value as soon as you take it out of the box. No one needs a 42" TV. Everyone could get by with a 21" TV or no TV at all. All we need to survive is food, clothing, and shelter. Everything else we have is a luxury. Jim obviously felt that whatever he was building was worth at least $150 plus his labor to build it so to him it has value.

Frank will use that $50 leftover after paying for the lumber from the supplier to pay his business expenses such as rent, utilities, payroll, taxes, and his own paycheck.

I don't see capitalism as the problem. I see huge corporations (auto manufacturers, banks, etc) that don't have to deal with the consequences of their poor actions as a problem. I also see the lack of self-control over spending as a problem. I don't mean just the government and the banks, but also most of our citizens. Most everyone lives in massive debt and buys many things they cannot afford due to the easy availability of credit.

• sabastious
    sabastious
    You didn't mention a "system" in the earlier part of your post. What "system" specifically are you talking about?

Instead of Jim producing the lumber by himself he chooses to purchase it from Frank's business.

-Sab

• sabastious
    sabastious
    A lot of things people buy add no value.

Something that might be done too much in our society today?

-Sab

• sabastious
    sabastious
    Technology could be our salvation

I really do believe that Rodenberry was correct in his prediction that technology will be our salvation we just have to find a way to produce it while keeping our ethical standards in tact.

-Sab

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit