One in every congregation

by WTWizard 17 Replies latest jw friends

• sizemik
    sizemik

Yeah . . . I knew a beauty!

Sister perfect (not real name) was the then PO's wife, a regular pioneer, and the official rule-maker of the congregation. She was a short-ass little thing and her hubby was 6 foot 4 and totally whipped. Everybody knew every time he gave a "special needs" part (he did them all), he was flogging sister perfect's latest little crusade.

When she stepped down from pioneering for a "well-earned rest", hubby got up and announced it, thanked sister perfect for her wonderful contribution and led the congregation in a round of applause. Even the CO referred to her to me as "that Jezebel", but wouldn't go near her.

She accompanied me in field-service once . . . and only once. After calling on an RV of mine she "offered counsel" on the way down the path by saying I was "too tense". I replied "You mean one for Elijah and one for Moses?" (two tents). She refused to work with me after that . . . told every one I was "insolent" . . . mission accomplished. And the PO wondered why I declined the invitation "to serve" on the BOE!

THIS congregation certainly had one! . . . we didn't stay there long.

• stillin
    stillin

I thought I would recommend a great book to one of our elders who is a little more educated than any of the others. It is packed with science and fills me with wonder at the depth and complexity of (Jehovah's) creation. But, no. He firmly informed me that he only reads the theocratic material and that's enough for him. Where do I find the time to read this "worldly" stuff?

Shame on him! I'm not holding my breath, but I am so dissappointed in him that I keep thinking that he will play the conversation back in his mind and apologise for being such an ass.

• Awen
    Awen

I knew two in my congregation.

One was a brother, his first name was Sam. He was a newly baptized JW and I was unfortunate enough to have him in my car for field service. I recall I tried to play some classical music (this was back when the Kingdom Melodies were on cassette) and he said I shouldn't play that "worldly music" in field service since it detracts for Jehovah's service. I put on some KM and he shut it. Then later on while I was driving I pulled up to a stop sign but didn't stop all the way. Imeddiately he told a joke about a man who had run a red light, was pulled over by a cop and then beat about the head, all the while asking the guy if he should stop or just pause (like I did at the stop sign. I asked Sam if he had a car. he said no. I asked if he knew how far it was back to the Kingdom Hall. he said 10 miles. I then asked him if he was in good physical condition. He replied "yes" and wanted to know why. I told him if he didn't like how I drove MY car and what music I played in MY car, then he could walk his self-righteous self back to the Kingdom Hall. He made no reply but at least he shut up until we got to McDonalds to meet the rest of the group.

While there I purchased 6 Big Macs and ate 3. He called me a glutton in front of everyone. So I asked him to define gluttony and he said it was " the practice of over eating to satisfy a selfish desire for food" to which I replied that it needs to be a practice to be considered gluttony. I asked him to tell me then how much I usually eat at a given time and how often a day do I eat. He didn't know. So I told him he had made a judgmental remark based upon insufficient evidence about my personal habits. I also informed him that on occasion Jesus went to a wedding or a feast where large amounts of food were served. Does that make Jesus a glutton as well? Of course he replied "no". So then he was making unsubstantiated remarks about a person he didn't really know anything about. What did that make him? He didn't know. Based upon the evidence available he was self-righteous and full of pride, things condemned in the Bible.

The second was a Circuit Overseer's wife who wanted to conduct the Field Service arrangements. It was a Saturday morning and I was the only Brother present (not unusual). Her husband had already left for some return visits with the only other Brother. So I was left alone with 5 Sisters (including herself). Repeatedly she tried to steer the group in a particular direction or offer suggestions to go into certain neighborhoods (which we all knew to be crime laden). Despite the other Sister's best efforts to disuade her it eventually fell upon me to deal with her as the sisters from my congregation were afraid of her. I told her in front of the others that we were doing FS the way I thought best. She reminded me that she was the CO"S wife. I reminded her that she wasn't the CO but was under the headship of Christ and therefore in the abscence of her husband under my authority. I told her if she didn't like we would take her back to the KH. She stayed out in service (grumbling the entire time) and when she met up with her husband complained about me in front of everyone. To my surprise he told her I was correct and she was flat out wrong and owed me an apology. It was hard not to laugh in her face, poor woman.

Peace,

Awen

• 30 years out
    30 years out

OMG! You just described my Aunt Martha. She was always the most faithful witness in the entire circuit, always ready with unsolicited advice on any subject you may wish to bring up. Though she never had any children of her own she was the resident authority on child rearing, of course the real parents were always doing it wrong.

She also had a Neanderthal husband who managed to reach the position of elder with her guidance. They made sure that if anyone committed the slightest foible, the entire congregation knew about it before morning.

She was far too busy running the lives of several families to regular pioneer, but she did manage to temporary pioneer several months a year for which she was singled out for special recognition frequently. No one could make more callous and unkind comments to anyone within earshot, but if confronted with her bitchy attitude her feelings were always very hurt.

They are everywhere apparently.

• Sulla
    Sulla

You ate three Big Macs at lunch?

• Awen
    Awen

@ Sulla yes, I'm 6'0 and weigh 215 lbs, always been a big eater. I hadn't eaten since breakfast the day before and was ravenous.

Peace,

Awen

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

Now, unlike that pig that made a big deal about what he thought was "gluttony", I define "gluttony" as when a person consistently eats so much that it has a detrimental effect on health. Such eating would not be the result of another disorder, such as an endocrine problem (being fed monosodium glutamate as small children does disrupt the metabolism, leading to being fat and very hard to reduce). Being greedy is just one facet.

And just being fat isn't enough--people are fat because of the poisons in our food that the manufacturers put there on purpose, not getting enough exercise, eating too much of the wrong kind of food, not getting enough sleep, and/or stress. You can also get fat by undereating for a few days, then going back to normal eating--repeat, and it will screw up your metabolism. Many pollutants (BPA is one) also mess with your metabolism. Too much fluoride, not enough iodine, and eating too much soy oil or rape seed oil (canola) will also screw up your metabolism. THIS IS NOT GLUTTONY!

Problem is, when a person is like this, they are willing to screw with definitions of words. "Gluttony" can mean anything that gets as much pleasure out of a situation as one possibly can. They do the same thing with other words, and can invent problems to part you from your job and wealth so you can pio-sneer. Very often, they are as picky with your driving (doing 60 on a 55 is less serious than paying attention to the speedometer instead of the road), your music (I see nothing wrong with listening to worldly music--some people think best with no music, but limiting it to Kingdumb Maladies is not acceptable), your demeanor, your grooming (forget to shave or put your tie on a bit sloppy, and you will hear no end), and what material things you might sport.

As for the "stop", that is very common. It's called a "California stop". Yes, you can get a ticket for doing a California stop. However, it is more important to pay attention to the road than to picky aspects of driving. And, while I don't recommend eating 3 Big Macs at a time on a regular basis, no one has the right to, based solely on this, call it "gluttony". There is a big difference between a poor diet and gluttony, and those who are self-righteous are not going to get that.

• Awen
    Awen

Thanks WTWizard. I always enjoy your comments.

Funny thing about Sam he wasn't considered the sharpest knife in the drawer by many. He applied to Bethel (as had I and others) and was the only one accepted. I never could understand that.

Peace,

Awen

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit