My brand new Greek Bible!

by Wonderment 22 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Wonderment
    Wonderment

I just received my brand new Greek Bible:

Η Αγ?α Γραφ?—Μετ?φραση Ν?ου Κ?σμου = The Holy Scriptures - New World Translation

Why bother?

First of all, it is one more addition to my collection of bibles. Secondly, there are times when I like to compare the NWT in different languages, especially Greek. I like to compare the Modern Greek translation with the original English one, and to the other Greek WT Bible, Kingdom Interlinear. Also, at times I like to compare the Septuagint with the NWT Greek of the OT. I find it interesting.

There are many who believe this often made charge that the WT people have no capability to deal with Greek. I don't know about you, but I don't buy into that accusation at all.

• Witness My Fury
    Witness My Fury

How do the translations work, are they all FROM the current English NWT?

• Wonderment
    Wonderment

The Kingdom Interlinear Greek NT is translated directly from the Wescott and Hort Greek Text. All other editions of NWT into other languages are translated from the English edition.

That said, I have found that there is enough leeway for the NWT translation teams to incorporate variant readings to those of the English edition. Whatever system they use, they are aware of many technical issues of Hebrew and Greek text readings as they go along, and sometimes choose one of those "original" readings instead of the English base whenever it is practical to do so. This subject has been controversial in this board, but what I stated is what I have experienced by doing comparison discoveries.

• J. Hofer
    J. Hofer

what's your background on the greek language?

• Curtains
    Curtains

hi wonderment

great addition to your library. I also like to do comparisons

• still thinking
    still thinking

Excellent!!!! I hope you intend to share any interesting discoveries with us.

• Wonderment
    Wonderment

J. Hofer: what's your background on the greek language?

I have a self-taught working knowledge of it. I believe anyone with some effort and discipline can accomplish a lot.

• Nobleheart
    Nobleheart

Good for you for your new addition. I just have a question since I don't have access to a Greek NWT.

You said that "t he Kingdom Interlinear Greek NT is translated directly from the Wescott and Hort Greek Text."

How does John 8:58 reads into the Greek NWT? What about the Greek KIT?

I ask because I saw a video months ago that said the Greek NWT used a different expression in that passage, instead of 'ego eimi' found in the original text. I looked for it, but unfortunately I'm unable to find it now.

Your help would be appreciated.

• TD
    TD

Why is the Greek NWT a nicer binding than the English? Why does it have two ribbon markers when the English only has one? Inquiring minds want to know....

• Wonderment
    Wonderment

Nobleheart:

εγ? υπ?ρχω = I exist The Kingdom Interlinear has: "ego eimí."

Observe that the NWT did not use "ego eimai" the modern Greek equivalent for "I am," nor did they use the modern Greek equivalent for "I have been" (NW English) (?χο υπ?ρξει) .

Sorry for the font size. Could not adjust it in brief time.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit