JWs always deny the information control

by AuntBee 30 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW
    An active Witness on FB just told me that they are taught to "always question what we are taught"
    and use not only the WT publications, but any research materials, and come to a conclusion about what they find!

It`s a blatent lie..

Question the WBT$ enough and you will be DF`d..

Openly disagree with the WBT$ and you wil be DF`d..

All reasearch material must agree with the WBT$,or it must be discarded and ignored..

I catch JW`s in Lies ..

Then all of a sudden they are very busy and have to leave..

.......................;-)...OUTLAW

• MrFreeze
    MrFreeze

Thats part of their information control, tricking their members into thinking there is no information control.

• discreetslave
    discreetslave

When I spoke to the elders about my research and carefully examining the scripture I was told not to think too much. Pray for peace of mind, let it go blank. Stick to reading Psalms when other Bible books stir up questions.When I presented other christian books I was reading the an elder said that it's garbage they only write for profit so it can't be trusted and they probably plagiarized the material from WT literature.

• agent zero
    agent zero

the VAST majority of mentions about this from the WT source directly forbid, emphasize the dangers, or discourage reading anything religious from an outside source. this is certainly the prevalant message and it is strong and steady enough to keep most dubs away from researching anything. then they'll drop a most occasional "make sure of all things", so that when we say their information is controlled they can point to that and say "you see! we DO encourage people to verify what we teach!". additionally, to jw's "make sure of all things" means: "make sure of all things by using the latest WT publications."

btw auntbee, thanks for your supportive PM, and that's great that you want to keep that and use it!

A0

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

My experience was different. I never felt like I couldn't research in outside sources. I think many are too complacent to take that step. As long as it wasn't "apostate" they didn't seem to have any objections. Kids in school have to do it all the time. However it was my research into secular sources that led me to conclude the bible was not inspired and not necessarily true. Some parts may be true, perhaps some history. The FLOOD though--nope. Didn't happen. So maybe there is a culture of disapproval but nothing that ever made me feel like I was doing something wrong by reading other research.

If it is the truth, it will stand up under scrutiny. There is no valid reason for their anxiety, unless they are hiding something. And we know they are. And we are silenced. GENIUS!

NC

• nancy drew
    nancy drew

Witnesses have the delusion that they have researched an answer when they just read the org's explanation and accept it as their own.

• ABibleStudent
    ABibleStudent

AuntBee -

An active Witness on FB just told me that they are taught to "always question what we are taught" and use not only the WT publications, but any research materials, and come to a conclusion about what they find!

This is not what i've heard from you guys! Does she go to some unusual-type Kingdom Hall, or is she mesing with my mind?

Hi AuntBee, all JWs are taught defensive techniques such as using platitudes to avoid discussing subjects that they are uncomfortable answering. Ask JWs simple questions like what have they questioned about WTBTS literature? There are numereous changes of doctrine that you can review on http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Development_of_Jehovah%27s_Witnesses_doctrine to ask how a JW questioned changes, or ask a JW what WTBTS doctrine have they questioned and what did they question about it? I can think of many WTBTS doctrine's that I question, but JWs will leave if they feel that they do not have an answer to suppress your questions. I know this from personal experience, because that is exactly what a Former Friend, who is a devout JW did, when I asked what did she beleive about several WTBTS doctrines that I quoted from the Watchtower/Awake!

Peace be with you and everyone, who you love,

ABibleStudent

• The Quiet One
  • The Quiet One
    The Quiet One

Here's a couple of quotes regarding what Jw's are allowed to read and whether they can question what they are taught. "Have No Dealings With Apostates, ... For example, what will you do if you receive a letter or some literature, open it, and see right away that it is from an apostate? Will curiosity cause you to read it, just to see what he has to say? You may even reason: `It won't affect me; I'm too strong in the truth. And besides, if we have the truth, we have nothing to fear. The truth will stand the test.'In thinking this way, some have fed their minds upon apostate reasoning and have fallen prey to serious questioning and doubt." (Watchtower, March 15, 1986 p12) "Avoid independent thinking...questioning the counsel that is provided by God's visible organization." (Watchtower, Jan.15,1983 p22)

• AuntBee
    AuntBee

You guys rock; thanks for your insights and suggestions. I will pass on your thoughts! Tricky how they speak out of both sides of their mouth on that issue, as on others.

MrFreeze: Wow, that makes my head spin - great point!

discreetslave: "Stick to reading Psalms when other Bible books stir up questions" LOL, that's rich!

oh good, glad you saw that, AgentZero

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit