Watchtower 2011 July 15 Study Edition: Are all study editions like this?

by Tuber 25 Replies latest watchtower bible

• ambersun
    ambersun

Oh dear, punkofnice, I am so sorry. At least my other half came out of the borg with me, it is just my extended family I have to contend with, and that is frustrating enough so I really feel for you.

Thanks, Tuber, for your excellent analysis of this month's study edition Watchtower which makes me wonder how any reasonably intelligent adult can allow themselves to be taken in by the blatant hypocracy of it all.

This, for instance:-

15(18) Satan wants to silence JWs. He tries to distract and divide them by making them do such things as "gadding about" and forwarding non-essential emails. We have no right to tell other people how to live their lives (must have been pissing themselves laughing as they wrote that). Idle and troublesome behaviour distracts us from kingdom preaching. If we aren't supporting Jehovah and his work, we're supporting Satan.I noticed some of my JW nephews and nieces on facebook getting twitchy a month or so ago because they seemed to think the GB was about to order them to stop using facebook, then they breathed a collective sigh of relief when they realised they could continue on facebook as long as they didn't include stupid things. The fact that several young adults were prepared to stop using facebook, a very important part of their social lives, on the whim of a few faceless elderly men in Broolkyn who they have never met and are very unlikely to, makes a total mockery of their claim "No right to tell other people how to live their lives". The young JWs in question would indeed have stopped if ordered to because they are scared of the consequences if they don't fall in line.

Aaaahhhhgggg

• punkofnice
    punkofnice
    The fact that several young adults were prepared to stop using facebook, a very important part of their social lives, on the whim of a few faceless elderly men in Broolkyn who they have never met and are very unlikely to, makes a total mockery of their claim "No right to tell other people how to live their lives".

The GB. 7 'just imperfect men'. Pathetic. Proves to me there are 7 villages each missing an idiot!

The way they are writing the new 'study' edition washtowel is very controlling and is indeed telling other people how to live their lives.

• Tuber
    Tuber

Glad some of you got something out of it.

Nice to be able to let you guys know the type of things being written without you having to read the whole thing (it was torturous).

And to think that I used to get all angsty and angry about some of the things mainstream Christianity teaches.

The stuff JWs believe make Christianity seem downright tame in comparison.

• InterestedOne
    InterestedOne

Tuber wrote:

The stuff JWs believe make Christianity seem downright tame in comparison.

For me it's a toss up which is worse. JW's don't believe in hell, so in that respect, I think Christian teaching is worse. However, there is something wrong with the WT literature as you have demonstrated so well. I was never a JW, but after a year of studying with them, I can see how a steady diet of that literature could mess with someone's head.

• Tuber
    Tuber

The not believing in hell thing is one plus, I'll agree.

But when you think about it...

They discourage higher education.

They do not tolerate any opinion that differs from WTS doctrine.

They discourage independant thinking.

They ban life saving medical procedures.

They encourage members to snitch on each other.

They encourage women to stay in violent marriages, allowing divorce only in the case of adultery.

They impose the penalty of disfellowshipment for a great number of offences...

It's like they've taken hell out of the afterlife, and set it up in the here and now instead.

I'm not arguing with you about which is worse... Both are horrible in their own ways and teach horrible things.

It's just that mainstream christianity tends to allow a bit more wiggle room, people are allowed to think, allowed to differ in what they percieve a verse of the bible means, and although they believe in hell, they have salvation through grace not works, rather than salvation by how many copies of a magazine you manage to distribute (works).

• InterestedOne
    InterestedOne

Tuber - Good points. I agree.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit