Watchtower 2011 July 15 Study Edition: Are all study editions like this?

by Tuber 25 Replies latest watchtower bible

• diana netherton
    diana netherton

Running Duma??? Wtf? Who goes to the movies in a skirt like that anyway?

• ambersun
    ambersun

I pity her having to sit listening to the above watchtower propaganda

I quite agree punkofnice, I feel the same way about my loved ones stuck in the borg being brainwashed into believing this rubbish, which is why I am hoping that the occasional quick, funny, throw away comments such as yours will be helpful to use in defence against a JW in full flow. It throws their OWN doctrine back at them in a way that makes them sound ridiculous, and catches them unawares before they are able to allow their eyes to glaze over and revert to 'dubby dreamworld' as you so accurately put it. You are not arguing with them, just passing a comment.

I would guess your wife was angry because it hit a nerve. A similar thing happened when I made a flippant remark to my sister about how clever Rutherford was to get away with living a life of luxury in Beth Sarim back in the 1920s by telling everyone he was looking after it for Abraham, due to be resurrected back onto the earth at any moment. I said, you've got to give it to him, he got everyone believing him so he was a clever bloke wasn't he. She was not amused!

Hopefully these short, flippant remarks of ours will awaken something in their subconciouses to make them start thinking for themselves before the instruction in WT 6 (16) Avoid false teachers (and apostates, especially those damn apostates) takes over their brain.

The site is full of experiences where similar things have happened, so who knows!

• Tuber
    Tuber

Can someone please tell me how to quote?

Probably an obvious place I should be clicking, but I'm having trouble spotting it.

@Listener: I didn't even spot that, I was too caught up with the little bits and peices. Sure they had a chuckle over that.

Ok, time to continue wading through this crap.

"Will You Heed Jehovah's Clear Warnings?"

13(18) Always be on guard, Satan is always out to lead you astray.

15(18) Satan wants to silence JWs. He tries to distract and divide them by making them do such things as "gadding about" and forwarding non-essential emails. We have no right to tell other people how to live their lives (must have been pissing themselves laughing as they wrote that). Idle and troublesome behaviour distracts us from kingdom preaching. If we aren't supporting Jehovah and his work, we're supporting Satan.

16(18) Keep busy with kingdom work so as not to fall prey to Satan.

"I Feared Death- Now I Await Life In Abundance"The long, rambling recollections of an old Italian witness. Not much propoganda here, but I'm sure anyone who can stifle the yawns as they read through it may be able to spot a few gems.

"God's Rest- What Is It?"

5 (24) The purpose of the 7th day "is for the earth to be inhabited by obedient men and women who will take care of it and all life upon it".

15 (27) Don't be disobedient.

16 (28) "We can enter into Jehovah’s rest —or join him in his rest— by obedientlyworking in harmony with his advancing purpose as it is revealed to us through his ORGANIZATION".

17 (28) "If we minimize the Bible-based counsel that we receive through the FAITHFUL AND DISCRETE SLAVE CLASS, choosing
    to follow an independent course, we would be placing ourselves at odds with God’s unfolding purpose"

"God's Rest- Have You Entered Into It?" 1 (28) Don't rebel. Be ready to obey.

7 (29) Proverbs 4:1 “The path of the righteous ones is like the bright light that is getting lighter and lighter until the day is firmly established".

9 (30) I'm just going to copy and paste the whole paragraph, it's gold:

In modern times, there have been refinements
    in our understanding of certain
    Bible teachings. This should not trouble us;
    it should bolster our confidence in the faithful
    and discreet slave class. When representative
    members of the “slave” discern
    that our viewpoint on some point of truth
    needs to be clarified or corrected, they do
    not hold back from making the adjustment.
    The slave class is more interested
    in cooperating with God’s unfolding purpose
    than in shielding itself from criticism
    over an adjusted understanding. How do
    you react when an adjustment in our understanding
    of the Scriptures is presented?
    —Read Luke 5:39.

10(29) Jehovah wants you to preach from house to house.

11(29) Be obedient. Get out of your comfort zone and preach house to house even if it makes you uncomfortable.

12 (29,30) Talks about the disfellowshipping of a son who decides to sin instead of worship Jehovah.

13 (31) Tries to use the bible to support disfellowshipping. Disfellowshipping a close family member is painful.

14 (31) But as with in the example, the family members who are still JWs have no choice in the matter. It's the fault of the one who was disfellowshipped.

16 (31, 32) We must love Jehovah more than unfaithful family members.

17 (32) Disfellowshipping helps apostates etc. come to their senses.

21 (32) Faithful older members of the “great crowd” have served Jehovah for decades, many never expecting to grow old
    in "this system of things." But they don't give up, because Jehovah will keep his promise... some day.

• InterestedOne
    InterestedOne

Tuber wrote:

Can someone please tell me how to quote?

In the first toolbar in the text editor, there is a dropdown that says "styles." Highlight the text you want to quote and click that dropdown, and you should see it says "quote." That will put the text into a quote box. Try it.

You can also do the indented kind of quoting using the button in the second toolbar with the quotation mark symbol.

• Tuber
    Tuber
    In the first toolbar in the text editor, there is a dropdown that says "styles." Highlight the text you want to quote and click that dropdown, and you should see it says "quote." That will put the text into a quote box. Try it.
    You can also do the indented kind of quoting using the button in the second toolbar with the quotation mark symbol.

Ahhh, I see.

Kind of clunky, will have to get used to it.

Thanks.

• Curtains
    Curtains

hi tuber

I was pretty surprised by just how many chances they took to refer to apostates and disfellowshipping.

Do most study editions have this kind of "hidden message" (well, not so well hidden, as you'll see)?

Or are all study editions full of anti-apostate, pro-disfellowshipping propoganda?

I have been noting this development with interest. It seems to be a recent thing and isn't sustainable imo because it is going to become pretty ridiculous and may eventually make the the WTS seem absurd. perhaps breakdown will lead to breakthrough

• steve2
    steve2
    It seems to be a recent thing and isn't sustainable imo because it is going to become pretty ridiculous and may eventually make the the WTS seem absurd. perhaps breakdown will lead to breakthrough

Er sorry, but only if you have the memory of a gnat. The diatribes against apostates and co are absolutely nothing new or recent. The Watchtowers of the late 20s through 30s were voluminously vile in their retributively sarcastic comments about those who had dared question Rutherfords autocratic rulership.Page after mind numbing page of resolutions and critical commentary about apostates, leaden with vast excerpts from the equally venomous Old Testament (which they remodelled as the Hebrew Scriptures).

Believe me, as nasty and repetitive as current Watchtowers appear, they are light and airy compared to earlier Watchtowers. There is nothing new under the sun.

• Curtains
    Curtains

oh my steve2, you appear to have the sense of a flea

I believe from what i have read, as I wasn't there, that Rutherford's era marked a time of great change, even a break between Russell's time and rutherford's time. Huge numbers left and Jehovahs witnesses as a group renewed themselves in accordance with extremisms of the day. Breakthroughs occurred in people who'd left. Is that better for you

• Snowboarder
    Snowboarder

Now i know why i'm stupid i'm mentally diseased, so that's why i'm studying German in University.

"Don't greet, allow visits from, read literature from, watch tv programs featuring, read websites by, or comment on the blogs of false teachers (apostates). We love Jehovah's ORGANIZATION. Don't be "soured" by anyone who would speak against the ORGANIZATION."

Now i know why my blog is evil, because i spoke against the ORGANIZATION!

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

Hopefully these short, flippant remarks of ours will awaken something in their subconciouses to make them start thinking for themselves before the instruction in WT 6 (16) Avoid false teachers (and apostates, especially those damn apostates) takes over their brain.

@ambersun - Mrs Punk is so sick of my comments she even thinks I'm being sarky when I'm not. Silly Mrs Punk!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit