Seeing JWs in public...

by undercover 20 Replies latest jw friends

• undercover
    undercover

I was reading Terry's experience of running into dubs at the car wash and his feelings aftewards. Thought I'd share my experience on a new thread instead of interrupting his.

I saw some dubs yesterday myself. Better stated - I thought I saw some dubs.

Sunday mornings for me since leaving the JW faith consist of going to either a Starbucks or a locally owned coffee shop and enjoying my coffee, danish and newspaper in a nice leather chair with ottoman. It is relaxing to sit and read and sip coffee and not worry about bills, yardwork, leaky plumbing or deadlines at the office. JWs and the WTS are usually the furtherest thing from my mind as well.

Until...

...They came in. I was sitting there enjoying my routine, looking up whenever someone came in. Lots of college kids come in this particular shop as it's near a college campus. Occassionally a small family but rarely large groups. It's a great spot to people watch.

Anyway, I hear the door open, a group of people come in. Larger than usual, even for college kids. It was a group of JWs...well...I just knew they had to be JWs. The men and boys had on short sleeve dress shirts and ties (a fashion faux pas that many JW males are guilty of. Can you blame em when it's already 80 some degrees and humid?). No jackets. The women and girls all had on modest, below the knee length full skirts. Nothing tight, nothing slit. Fully buttoned blouses. No skin, no cleavage. Hair was mid-80s country bumpkin fashionable.

Wait a minute though...Why could this not have been some other church going group? Fair question. It is Sunday, it could've been some one coming or going to the Baptist Church down the street. I actually thought about that. I thought maybe I was jumping to a conclusion. Just because people wear nice clothes while the rest of us are in dress-down mode doesn't make one a cult member.

I had already braced myself, even though I didn't recognize any of them. Just seeing JWs in JW activity can cause anxiety. I decided I needed to calm down and not jump to a conclusion. But I couldn't take my eye off them. I kept watching for a clue or something that would confirm that they were indeed JWs.

But why? Why did I need to know? What difference does it make? They weren't preaching/peddling literature...they were buying coffee/soda and snacks. They were just another group of customers. But the entire time they were there, I was on edge and jumpy.

While I congrated Terry on his handling of his situation, I can fully relate to the anxieties or anger that can be resurrected on a moment's notice over the slightest of things. In my case, just seeing dressed up people that reminded me of JWs sent me off into pit of anxiety. Just what you need after a double quad espresso...

• james_woods
    james_woods

I would have figured the JWs more for a Dunkin Donuts than a Starbucks.

• undercover
    undercover
    I would have figured the JWs more for a Dunkin Donuts than a Starbucks.

In my area Krispy Kreme reigns supreme in the doughnut category. You will see some dubs in there, along with McDonald's and Bojangle's. Starbucks does attract the more upwardly mobile dubs, the few there are...

• james_woods
    james_woods
    Starbucks does attract the more upwardly mobile dubs, the few there are...

Some of the Ferrari club regulars are a little put off by Starbucks prices, too - but it is still our regular cars & coffee place.

The Rolls Royce club goes to The Egg & I for a full sit-down breakfast once a month.

I have tried to encourage an interfaith encounter group - but the two seem to be like Catholics and Anglicans.

• undercover
    undercover
    Some of the Ferrari club regulars are a little put off by Starbucks prices, too

LOL... I'm chuckling over the thought of a bunch of Ferrari owners boycotting Starbucks over the price of their coffee.

But then, If I owned a Ferrari I wouldn't be able to afford the gas to drive it to Starbucks, let alone buy coffee.

I guess I'll stick with my ole Bimmer and buy me some Starbucks...

• Rocky_Girl
    Rocky_Girl

I was at the local bagel shop one Saturday with my usual Torah study group. We met there on an off week (rabbi out of town) and were having a great discussion when a group of JWs walked in. They sat close to us and were being obvious about listening to our conversation. I made a completely "out there" statement that questioned God's existence (normal for me when I'm fiesty) and it started to get a little intense (we like it that way) and then settled down on the next verse.

One of the brothers had his bible out and finally got the courage to turn around and say something. (he had balls, I admit, we are a bit intimidating) He read out loud the way the NWT presented the particular verse we were discussing. One of our group held out his commentary and pointed to the Hebrew word in question and said "That is not a good interpretation, see the Hebrew word here is --- and not ---, so it shouldn't be translated that way." We all read our different commentary's translation of the word and proceeded to debate the word and its different uses and why his didn't fit. The guy kind of slunk back into his seat and turned around.

They left shortly afterward... I told the group afterward who they were; most of them had never heard of JWs.

• james_woods
    james_woods
    I guess I'll stick with my ole Bimmer and buy me some Starbucks...

I have noticed that Bimmer, Porsche, and Mercedes owners are more like stubborn Lutherans. I dropped Porsche Owners Club because it was just too oppressive.

The Audi people I know are all Athiests...

• undercover
    undercover

I was gonna join a BMW club but they were a bit cultish. The guys that had made mods looked down on the mostly stock guys. The M guys looked down on everybody.

I joined a motorcycle forum and of course the HD guys hated the metric guys and vice versa. Even inside the HD group, the big bike guys shunned the sportster riders.

If I stuck to brand/model specific boards, it was fine, but try to go across all makes/models and people got testy and defensive.

• steve2
    steve2

I saw a well dressed group of young men and women at Muffin Break on a recent Sunday morning and assumed they were JWs. I took a closer look and listen then realized they were part of the local Seventh-Day Adventist youth group. I can see why people who've never been a JW or had anything to do with them would not see that much distinctive about them.

BTW, Mormons generally dress better for their door-to-door work and appear better looking - but I'm not aware of any reasearch that confirms my limited observations.

• undercover
    undercover
    Mormons generally dress better for their door-to-door work and appear better looking

yea, that's been my experience as well. The missionaries, even riding bikes and working up a sweat, seem to be better dressed, even if it's just better quality slacks and dress shirt/tie.

Mormon youth are encouraged to get a good education and to further that education. I'm sure that the encourgement to excel gives them reason to try to dress better and care about their appearance.

But, like you said, there's no real research to verify that....just my observation.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit