It's been 12 years since the release of the 'Daniel' book

by truthseeker 14 Replies latest jw friends

• truthseeker
    truthseeker

It was the summer of 1999. There I was sitting at the assembly when the speaker announces a new publication -Daniel's Prophecy or something like that.

There were a lot of eager dubs waiting to get their hands on that book. We might learn the identity of the "King of the North"! That's what I wanted to read, though in fact all the Society had to say about that was "we are wise not to speculate".

Looking back, it seems like this was the last book to properly address the end times prophecies - I didn't feel that way with the Isaiah books, they simply regurgitated old stuff and made the anointed fit into every prophecy Isaiah ever uttered.

It seems like the organization has gone on auto pilot, cutting costs, lowering print output and providing "how to live and function in the organization" books.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt
    it seems like this was the last book to properly address the end times prophecies

Please be more specific. Are you saying that this book is accurate? Or, are you simply saying that it's the last book to speak of the topic.

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

At this DC when they talked about Daniel's image vision and the feet of iron and clay, they made out like it was important proof that we were near the end. I don't know how they could completely ignore their predictions about the King of the North. KotN has a lot to get done before the end can ever come. If anything, all the required details are making the end farther and farther away!

• Quendi
    Quendi

One of the things about the Daniel's Prophecy book that struck me was the glaring inconsistency of the Society's interpretation of Daniel. We all know the utter nonsense of that is the WTS understanding of Daniel chapter four and Neb's tree dream. A number that is never even mentioned, 2,520, is given a time span of that many years because of the "rule" of "a day for a year". But when it comes to the span covered by the 1,290 days, the 1,335 days, and the 2,300 days--numbers that are specifically mentioned in the book of Daniel--suddenly they are literal days and not symbolic ones standing in for years instead! Yet nobody calls the WTS on this. Maybe it doesn't matter seeing that every other interpretation they have of Bible prophecy has proved to be absolute rubbish.

Quendi

• truthseeker
    truthseeker

LeavingWT,

I'm saying it's the last book published to address the end times, and no, the book is definitley not accurate.

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

I was inactive for 2 years when Daniel's prophecy came out. I devoured it and went back to meetings. Ah well. I actually went through it twice before we studied it in BS. It drew me back to be as dubbie as ever. I should burn that book.

NC

• NomadSoul
    NomadSoul

Oh yeah, one of the books that helped me on the way out!

• sir82
    sir82

But when it comes to the span covered by the 1,290 days, the 1,335 days, and the 2,300 days

--numbers that are specifically

mentioned in the book of Daniel--suddenly they are literal days and not symbolic ones

standing in for years instead!

Russell treated those time periods as "day for a year" - he was loony as a bag of taffy, but at least he was consistent.

As I recall, [something significant having to do with the papacy] happened in 539 AD. 1260 years later bought you to 1799, Russell's starting point for the "last days". I think maybe 1290 days (1829 AD) was the start of William Miller's evangelizing, and the 1335 days brings you to 1874 AD, when the "invisible presence" of Christ was supposed to have occurred. Don't recall the 2300 days thing.

Something like that anyway.

• Sapphy
    Sapphy

The Isaiah books weren't deep, they were just thick.

Among other things, I will never forgive the society for the Isaiah book studies. They went on forever when all that happened was that Judah & Israel gets destroyed and restored a million times, but it all evidently means 1919.

They were the most boring, stupid books in the watchtower's history.

At least the Daniel book had a bit of history.

• NomadSoul
    NomadSoul
    I didn't feel that way with the Isaiah books, they simply regurgitated old stuff and made the anointed fit into every prophecy Isaiah ever uttered.

Exactly! I was still a JW and I was going nuts just reading this! Every little thing was applied to them!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit