There is no social programme in exsistance that recommends shunning as a means of rehabilitation

by jambon1 20 Replies latest jw friends

• IsaacJ22
    IsaacJ22

Many fundamentalists are all anger when it comes to those who don't share their views. They like the fire and brimstone. JWs use shunning as the cold shoulder, passive aggressive equivalent. If they break you and force you to seek reinstatement, you are--in effect--saying, "I'm sorry. I was wrong. You are right."

It also allows them to feel superior. They stay the course like a good JW, and their glad they aren't like you.

In the end, it reinforces their self righteousness and keeps them away from those with new, independent ideas that could "corrupt" them. So it works on several levels. Just like field service. :-)

I doubt it's going anywhere.

• andys
    andys

To illustrate how cruel shunning is, lets say someone has a drinking problem and gets disfellowshipped and all contact cut off, thats not going to help the drinking problem its only going to make it worse, what people really need to do is when someone has a problem is be there for them, also make sure that person gets the help they need to overcome the problem, people need a support system to get through any difficulty.

• clarity
    clarity

Back to Alcohol Annonomus for a second.

My understanding is that they 'teach' - don't go it alone. They have a buddy system.

While going through this process they have constant support. They are treated well. They have regular meetings to talk about loneliness, self worth and encouragement!

Who gets the "Christmas Dinners"? Easter Dinners? Who is given new clothes? Many of these people! Not an easy return to 'society' but they aren't shunned!

Jehovah's Witnesses are shunned. Blackmailed. Disfellowshipped. Their whole world taken away! And for what? Sometimes ... just for thinking!!!!!

Bastards

clarity

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

Shunning works!

Think of the people who still attend the meetings and pretend to be JWs, because they won't want to lose their entire family/social circle.

If you're running a cult, the implementation of shunning is crucial.

• Quarterback
    Quarterback

Enough is Enough. I'm calling them right now..............Darn, the Service committee doesn't work on weekends.

• Scully
    Scully

clarity writes:

My understanding is that they 'teach' - don't go it alone. They have a buddy system.

While going through this process they have constant support. They are treated well. They have regular meetings to talk about loneliness, self worth and encouragement!

I agree with you there. The WTS has ingeniously (as it worked for many decades until the advent of the Internet) created a situation where JWs are advised to avoid as much as possible associating with outsiders and unbelievers, which worked in their favor in deterring many JWs from doing something that could get them DFd as they would have 'no where else to go' due to a lack of social network outside the JWs, and the rules on shunning meant that exJWs and DFd people were viewed as some kind of bogeyman that made you afraid to seek them out.

That's why when people come to JWN wanting to "fade" from the JWs, one of the first recommendations that anyone here will offer is to start developing outside activities and social contacts so the feelings of isolation that arise from eventually being shunned by JWs will be diminished.

• Heaven
    Heaven

What I observed in my family regarding the shunning was equal or more damage being done to those who were actually doing the shunning. So JWs are hurting themselves ultimately.

Me and my bro. continued our relationship even though our parents chose not to associate with us. In the end, my parents were lonely, depressed, and chonically ill. They missed out on so much of life. Their actions taught us not to be this way.

• talesin
    talesin

Their shunning - even from family members - is doing me a huge favour. It reminds me, over and over again, of the reasons why I will NEVER EVER go back to the JWs.

couldn't have said it better myself ,,, scully gurl

tal

• barefootmarley
    barefootmarley

not entirly true. some drug rehab programms/intervention shows suggest shunning the addict if he refuses to get help. also mormons shun ones that leave

• Quarterback
    Quarterback

I just read a letter from a Legal firm at work this week. In it they stated that, the person they were writing about, is a member of Good Standing.

So lawyers, do a form of shunning as well.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit