There is no social programme in exsistance that recommends shunning as a means of rehabilitation

by jambon1 20 Replies latest jw friends

• jambon1
    jambon1

Can someone tell the WTS/JW's how utterly counter productive & cruel shunning is?

Apart from serious crimes where a person might conscientiously have nothing to do with a friend/relative, people who are struggling with any kind of issues generally need love, support & kindness.

Shunning is unnecessary, evil & humiliating.

Does the punishment really fit the crime? Someone caves into the 'sins of the flesh' so they are cut off from all human contact with everyone they know?

And don't give me the excuses about the supposed idea that it's only those who aren't repentant. Do me a favour! We all know that is absolute horse shit.

Anyone who supports shunning as a form of dicipline or rehabilitation is kidding themselves on big time.

It is evil & those who carry it out are fulfilling scripture for all the wrong reasons.

Shame on them.

• dm6
    dm6

this is a f*****g evil form of punishment. excuse the language but to see people suffer in this way but their actual friends is an utter appauling disgrace.

fortunately however as sad as it seems, being d/f is probably the single best thing that could happen to a JW.

• steve2
    steve2

Actually, as with far too many cruel and uinhumane practices, shunning is supported in that motley collection of ancient books called "the Bible". If you must rant against anything, rant against that book's pervasive grip on human kind.

• designs
    designs

'pervasive grip on human kind' Western civilization is slowly waking up to its bad influence. Voltare and Rousseau began to open minds.

• alanv
    alanv

They won't get rid of something that works well for them.

In most cases it stops the sheep from mixing with someone who has rejected the org. for whatever reason. Clearly the society do not care two hoots about human rights. The shunning is actually blackmail. They are saying providing you do exactly as we say, you can come back.

Blackmail pure and simple.

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

They're actually proud of how they break up families. "Yay us! We fulfill yet another scripture from the book of hate!"

32 “Everyone, then, that confesses union with me before men, I will also confess union with him before my Father who is in the heavens; 33 but whoever disowns me before men, I will also disown him before my Father who is in the heavens. 34 Do not think I came to put peace upon the earth; I came to put, not peace, but a sword. 35 For I came to cause division, with a man against his father, and a daughter against her mother, and a young wife against her mother-in-law. 36 Indeed, a man’s enemies will be persons of his own household. 37 He that has greater affection for father or mother than for me is not worthy of me; and he that has greater affection for son or daughter than for me is not worthy of me. 38 And whoever does not accept his torture stake and follow after me is not worthy of me. 39 He that finds his soul will lose it, and he that loses his soul for my sake will find it. ~Matthew 10:32-39

And what's worse is that while it is THEM who do the shunning, they apply the scriptures above to those who LEAVE, are KICKED OUT, or NEVER EVEN WERE JWs, saying the non-Dubs cause the divisions and are enemies of Christianity.

• lonestar63
    lonestar63

Shunning is what actually opened my eyes that this wasn't "The Truth", and enforced my decision to exit the building. No way should fellow christians do this to each other. Leave the 99 and go get the 1??? Yea right.........

• Scully
    Scully

Usually rehab programs (like AA or drug rehab) will recommend to the individual who wants to quit using to avoid people and situations that will tempt them to use again. However, in that case, it's the individual making the choice to shun (at their discretion) his or her former lifestyle and associates in favor of healthier choices. I seriously doubt that a drug dealer or a bartender would say to a customer they hadn't seen in a long time "Hey, you aren't welcome here! Get out and don't ever come back, unless you plan on being a junkie/drunk again! I won't speak to you ever again unless you do!"

Sometimes I remind myself that I chose to leave an unhealthy dangerous belief system and if the JWs weren't so hateful in their shunning practices, and actually invited me to associate with them, called on me to see how I was doing, etc. I could - if I were at some depressed or lonely point in my life - be completely vulnerable to being lured back. Their shunning - even from family members - is doing me a huge favour. It reminds me, over and over again, of the reasons why I will NEVER EVER go back to the JWs.

• shamus100
    shamus100

Put out some honey and some vinegar on your deck. Which one has more bees?

• aSphereisnotaCircle
    aSphereisnotaCircle

The thing of it is, the idea that shunning will make them come running back is a crock of shit and the society knows it.

The reason they enforce shunning is to seperate the believers from former believers, they do not want the XJWs telling the current JWs what they know.

Its simply damage control, it has nothing to do with trying to teach that errant sheep a lesson.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit