Symptoms of Spiritual Weakness - Elder's Manual

by cappytan 30 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• cappytan
    cappytan

So, from page 50 of the new PDF for the Elder's manual, there is a paragraph that lists some signs of spiritual weakness.

"Symptoms of spiritual fatigue include: lack of self-control in eating, drinking, and pursuit of pleasure; a complacent spirit; loss of enthusiasm for the truth, including daily Bible reading and personal study; harboring serious and lingering doubts; neglecting association at congregation meetings; and becoming overly critical of elders and the organization."

lack of self-control in eating, drinking, and pursuit of pleasure;

So, let me get this straight. Enjoying a fancy meal, appreciating the finer qualities of libations and deciding to enjoy life by pursuing pleasures (bike riding, hiking, camping, fishing, reading, movies, golfing, etc.) makes me spiritually weak?

a complacent spirit;

When you look up complacent in the thesaurus, there are some negative synonyms associated with it such as egotistic, self-righteous and smug. Putting aside for a moment the fact that most elders are themselves egotistic, self-righteous and smug, lets look at the other synonyms. Confident, happy, pleased, satisfied. So, being confident, happy, pleased and satisfied with life is considered a spiritual weakness? Here are some antonyms (opposites) the thesaurus gives for complacent: unhappy, discontent, concerned. So, if we're not supposed to be complacent, we're supposed to feel unhappy, discontented and concerned in order to be spiritually strong?

loss of enthusiasm for the truth, including daily Bible reading and personal study;

This one I kind of give them, although those that experience loss of enthusiasm usually feel that way because of the so-called shepherds in the congregation or because the spiritual food provided has grown stale and unsatisfying.

harboring serious and lingering doubts;

Yep, folks. If you take the Apostle John's advice in 1 John 4:1 to test the inspired expressions, you are spiritually weak because you're doubting.

neglecting association at congregation meetings;

So, if you leave the meeting as soon as it's over (because your kid's bedtime is at 8:00 and meetings don't end until well after 9:00) instead of farting around pretending to be happy (wait, isn't that complacency?), you're spiritually weak.

and becoming overly critical of elders and the organization.

Oops. I guess this post means I'm spiritually weak.

• pronomono
    pronomono
    a complacent spirit;
    When you look up complacent in the thesaurus, there are some negative synonyms associated with it such as egotistic, self-righteous and smug. Putting aside for a moment the fact that most elders are themselves egotistic, self-righteous and smug, lets look at the other synonyms. Confident, happy, pleased, satisfied. So, being confident, happy, pleased and satisfied with life is considered a spiritual weakness? Here are some antonyms (opposites) the thesaurus gives for complacent: unhappy, discontent, concerned. So, if we're not supposed to be complacent, we're supposed to feel unhappy, discontented and concerned in order to be spiritually strong?

Thanks for this, cappytan. Turns out my whole life, I've had the wrong idea about what complacency is. Why? Because the Watchtower seems to use this out of context.... a lot. From reading in context from Watchtower articles, I generally get the idea that a complacent person is someone who is lazy or careless, especially in regard to spiritual matters. From the real definition, this isn't the case at all.

• sparrowdown
    sparrowdown

Thanks to the WT for diagnosing the debiltating condition known as "spiritual weakness" not to be confused with other terrible maladies that modern medicine has no cure for, like " having a fit of the vapors" or "coming over all queer like".

• millie210
    millie210
    So does that mean you CAN be critical of the elders just as long as you are not "overly" critical?
  • freemindfade
    freemindfade

I'm telling you they know that most are not weak but mentally out! This will cause the elders to pressure any displaying these human actions (not miserable cult drones) the hope is probably that the pressure will force them to make an official exit. I believe us faders are a huge threat and they know it. But they portray us as not out. Just weak so as not to show the issue exists. People who are all in believe any who leave mentally are df'd. Or da themselves. Knowing the ranks were full of faders lingering to save family ties would make the org look awful! Seems like a lot of work this way but they can't out us, it has to be this way.

also am I mistaken that this is released and not secret anymore? If that's true. They want the RF to read this. think about it

• freemindfade
    freemindfade
    This makes me furious. Which it is designed to do. They are smart. This us going to become their proxy witch hunt method. Remember fmf said this.
  • JW GoneBad
    JW GoneBad

"...a complacent spirit, loss of enthusiasm for the truth, ...harboring serious and lingering doubts, neglecting association at congregation meetings and becoming overly critical of the elders and the organization."

I must admit that's me. I'm just experiencing a spiritual awakening!:):)

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

Cappytan, great thread!

So I wanna know one thing. Since I'll be labeled as "spiritually weak" if I am "overly critical of elders and the organization," what amount of criticism is acceptable?

How critical can I be without it being "overly"?

lol

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

pronomono - "...the Watchtower seems to use this out of context... a lot..."

They've raised taking and using things out of context to a f**king art form.

• cappytan
    cappytan
    How critical can I be without it being "overly"?

Being overly critical is whatever three elders decide is "overly critical."

Rolling your eyes at the meeting? Overly critical.

Concerned about the tight-pants talk? Overly critical.

Pursuing higher education? Overly critical.

Refusing to shun your DF'd family member (aka showing unconditional love)? Overly critical.

Complaining that elder so-and-so molested your daughter? Overly critical.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit