10/15/11 WT Has The Crackdown On Football Started?

by yourmomma 39 Replies latest watchtower bible

• james_woods
    james_woods
    Hockey is more violent than football, for heaven's sake.

Or baseball - but I did get to see old bald-headed Nolan Ryan put a pretty good whoop-ass on another player here in Dallas during his last year for the Rangers.

• No Room For George
    No Room For George

Personally, I don't think its appropriate for Christians to watch or participate in football. It is a violent sport, and it fosters a violent, competative spirit in individuals which causes those same ones to seek out other like minded ones to paricipate in group sponsered violence. I believe that gang activity is a direct result of American football and hockey.

• No Room For George
    No Room For George

Or baseball - but I did get to see old bald-headed Nolan Ryan put a pretty good whoop-ass on another player here in Dallas during his last year for the Rangers.

That was hilarious too!!! When you run out to the mound, you're supposed to whoop the pitcher's azz!! You're not supposed to run out there and get the beats put on you!! Wasn't that Robin Ventura? I can't remember, but that was hilarious, and I felt so embarrased for him to get beat up by that old man.

• sir82
    sir82

protective armor like that of ancient gladiators?

Gladiators wore shoulder pads and thigh pads?

Did they also smear that black goop under their eyes?

• james_woods
    james_woods
    That was hilarious too!!! When you run out to the mound, you're supposed to whoop the pitcher's azz!! You're not supposed to run out there and get the beats put on you!! Wasn't that Robin Ventura? I can't remember, but that was hilarious, and I felt so embarrased for him to get beat up by that old man.

You bet it was hilarious - I don't even follow baseball, but that was played on our local Dallas sports TV about fifty times when it happened.

I think Ryan is more famous here in Dallas for that fight than he is for the no-hitters he threw.

• blondie
    blondie

Actually, it is on page 9.

For instance, you may like sports, and

that attraction is easily understood. Sports

can be fun and exciting. What, though, if

you are attracted to certain sports because of

their aggressive competitiveness, excessive

risk taking, high rates of injury, riotous

celebrations, nationalistic fervor, or similar

“ingredients”? After examining what is involved,

you would likely decide that it would

be hard to harmonize your thinking with Jehovah’s

way of thinking and with the message

of peace and love that we preach to others.

(Isa. 61:1; Gal. 5:19-21) On the other

hand, if a certain leisure activity is made up

of “ingredients” that are wholesome in Jehovah’s

eyes, then such recreationmay well

be beneficial and refreshing to you.—Gal. 5:

22, 23; read Philippians 4:8.

• Quendi
    Quendi

The vise on rank-and-file Witnesses continues to tighten. What the Watchtower should have said is: "After examining what is involved, you would likely decide that it would be hard to harmonize your thinking with Jehovah’s the Society's way of thinking and with the message of death peace and destruction love that we preach to others." Sadly, most Witnesses will fail to see it that way. They will believe that the 'faithful and discreet slave class' is gently leading them along the path to everlasting life. The day of reckoning for this cult can't come soon enough!

Quendi

• ultrabimbo
    ultrabimbo

I guess rugby would be ok then in as much as they don't use the armor of the "gladiator", huh? I have played

both sports and have to admit that rugby is a bit more punishing to the body. If football is out, then rugby will

no doubt be next.

Frank

• barefootmarley
    barefootmarley

i used to go to hockey games with an elder all the time. he cheered the fights on. first tysonn boxing match i watched was with a ministeral servent and his dope smoking hippe sister and brother in law

ps now i dont frown on the sis and bro-n-laws lifestyle. i have embraced it

• XBEHERE
    XBEHERE

Speaking from experience, most JWs hear this during the WT study and dont even realize what its saying. Nobody cares, seriously, they could say drink poisoned kool Aid at the next meeting and nobody will remember to do it. I would guess at least...at LEAST 75-90 percent of JWs go to the meetings becasue they are expected too and to be left alone by their pompous-ass GO (group overseer) who will call and say "oh I missed you today.." lol

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit