Red States/Blue States

by snowbird 34 Replies latest social current

• Berengaria
    Berengaria
    Not to make it seem like its all Arnold's fault, but I find it funny how a few years ago, people thought he'd make a great President.

You want to hear something really funny Miz? A billionaire ex EBay CEO ran for Governor here, Meg Whitman. In one of her ads she says "30 years ago anything was possible" "it's why I came to California so many years ago". The funny part is that her Democratic opponent Jerry Brown was Governor at that point.

• coffee_black
    coffee_black

Definitely in a blue state. But even here, there are pockets of bright red.

Coffee

• sooner7nc
    sooner7nc

RED

• GLTirebiter
    GLTirebiter

I remember in 1992, when Ross Perot ran, they used red (Bush-Republican), white (Perot-reform) and blue (Clinton-democrat) to identify states supporting each candidate. Or they would have, if Perot had managed to carry even a single state.

I live in a blue-red congressional district of a red-blue state. Incumbents in this district must be careful, lest the second largest bloc of registered voters ("none of the above") gives them the boot!

• james_woods
    james_woods

I sometimes wonder if this automatic assumption of Red State/Blue State acts to suppress some voters.

I have heard more than one person here in Texas say - oh, why bother to vote; we will go Republican anyway. (people both D & R)

This is one of the reasons that I am starting to think that the established Red/Blue (ordained by the media in advance) is counterproductive.

And (as a side issue) why the winner-take-all presidential electorial college system is at least somewhat anti-democratic.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit