If JW's had not claimed to have the truth

by FlyingHighNow 14 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Have you ever thought about your perceptions of the WTBTS, how they would have differed had they not been spouting, "We have the truth!" every other sentence? If they had never said, "Are you 'in the truth?'

If they were just like most churches, would you have been impressed? Would you have stayed?

When I say just like most churches, I mean just worshipping and not mentioning "We are the only ones God loves. We are the only ones who speak truth?"

This is about Jehovah's Witnesses. Not other churches.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

And what if they had not said things like, "Look how hard we try to be moral. We are more sincerely moral than other religions and even churches who are all a bunch of hypocrites."

What if they had not called attention to anything making them different, just did what they believed without bragging on it?

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

I guess this subject isn't fluffy enough. It's a thinking one. Sorry. I have to get serious sometimes.

• No Room For George
    No Room For George

If they humbled themselves, I'd be more inclined to stay as opposed to my feelings of wanting to distance myself from them. I was researching a bit this morning on the Garrido/Jaycee Dugard JW connection, and came across a Yahoo Question thread related to this subject. I always cringe reading the WT Apologist posts because they reek of smug arrogance and baseless assertions. Matter fact, here's the post I'm referring to which really caused me to go from having a pretty ok day to being slightly irritated.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20090828123548AAOEgK5

Jehovah's Witnesses are the only group who live by the bible. She was obviously not a Jehovah's Witnesses. In John 15:14 Jesus said to his followers: “You are my friends if you do what I am commanding you.” Jesus commanded us to love our neighbors, to treat others the way we want to be treated to give a witness to others about Jehovah the true God and about his Kingdom and the promise of living forever. Jehovah's Witnesses are the best behaved people in the world. Just because a person is related to a JW does not make them a witness and if a JW commits a grave sin and is unrepentant, their title as a JW is completely removed and can not participate in services until they show complete repentance. We are a clean organization and represent the God Almighty.P.S. Does anyone know Ryan Jenkins religion, Jasmin Fiore, Bonnie and Clyde, Charles Manson, other serial killers religion? No, because it’s not uncommon for those in false religion to commit such horrendous acts and crimes. But when anyone affiliated or related to a JW commits a crime they have to make it known. It just shows that we are the most behaved group in the world. Remember, Jehovah Gods own sons left the heavens along with Satan the Devil and turned away from the true God. No one is to blame but themselves. Besides, a true JW glows, we are pleasant, kind, loving and we are the happiest people on the earth. Nancy Garrido either was in a false religion or did not have a religion. You can tell by just looking at her. Her face says it all. Source(s) P.S. Jeremiah 16:21 says “Therefore here I am causing them to know; at this one time I shall cause them to know my hand and my mightiness, and they will have to know that my name is Jehovah.” When Jehovah's day ocmes, all will be forced to know Jehovah as the true God before he removes those who oppose him and his witnesses. TO: The Truth, when a JW comes knocking on your door you should ask for a free bible study so you can learn the truth and really know who we are.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

That's interesting, nrg. If they weren't spouting that bull all the time, would we have thought them much different or impressive?

• unshackled
    unshackled

No, it wouldn't make a difference to me. The thing that makes the WT dispicable is their desire for complete control of their members, using the BITE method. Their arrogance is the icing on the cult cake.

• Muhammad Ibn Yusuf
    Muhammad Ibn Yusuf

I would not have been impressed. Truthfully (pun intended), I was not terribly impressed anyway. The meetings were boring and the music came from a record player playing scratched records. No one could sing to save their lives. The NWT read like it was made of wood (Hm. It actually is, since paper is made of wood pulp) The only saving grace was theocratic ministry school. I loved the attention AND believe it or not the instruction and practice in public speaking came in handy in my real life. Oh and going door to door was often a hoot with compleat idiots coming to the door.
    I loved debating with other religious people, and that sharpened my mind. I hated the personal threats I received in the mail from Bethel members though. Just because I would send Bethelites packages with noisy alarm clocks in them (TICK TICK TICK) does NOT give them the right to have me arrested for malicious mischief!

• Muhammad Ibn Yusuf
    Muhammad Ibn Yusuf

No I am not a Muslim. That's why I picked a Muslim name. Makes perfect sense if you don't think about it.

MIJ

• Rocky_Girl
    Rocky_Girl

It was the controlling nature of the JWs that drove me away. The arrogance and smugness are the result of having a group that is so tightly controlled.

Re: Nancy Garrido comments

It is very convenient to claim that a criminal is not a JW, because a JW would never commit a crime. And if a JW committed a crime, s/he would not be a true JW. I have heard Christians say the same thing: "A 'true Christian' would not have done that!" Words can twist truth and make it appear to be different, but words can never actually change truth.

Besides, a true JW glows, we are pleasant, kind, loving and we are the happiest people on the earth.

I just threw up in my mouth a little bit...

• Ding
    Ding

Granted, less arrogance would be nice.

But even without the corner-on-the-truth claim, there would still be all the false prophecies, doctrinal flipflops, shunning practices, scandals, and legalistic rules and regulations.

In fact, all of that probably would have doomed the organization long ago if JWs weren't indoctrinated with the faithful and discreet slave concept and the view that this religion is the only way to God.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit