WTS vs The Smurfs? 2011

by kzjw 14 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• kzjw
    kzjw

With the release of the 3D movie the Smurfs, will the WT once again bash the little blue people as agents of Satan? We see the focus on Twilight bashing, so is this even a relevant call for the Society to make? Or will they rely on their past attack of Papa Smurf and the gang?

KZ

• kzjw
    kzjw

Any takers?

• QuestioningEverything
    QuestioningEverything

I think they will say something like they did in the 80's. Unless of course, there has been new light on the matter.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Any takers? Badboy is that you?

• truthseeker1969
    truthseeker1969

Honestly, i am just waiting for a magazine that says "do not do anything other than sit at home in silence, not tv, radio nothing other than meetings and service as we do not want you to have a life period"

• undercover
    undercover

The whole smurf thing has been blown out of proportion... by both JWs of that time and ex-JWs since then.

Tales of demonized smurfs and the subsequent smurfology (the repeating of gossip regarding talking and/or walking smurf dolls, dancing smurfs on bedspreads or curtains)was a grass roots movement among JWs. It wasn't a sanctioned effort by the GB or the WTS. Dubs are so superstitious and fearful of anything that might be demonized that it doesn't take much to get em all worked up. Let someone get all worked up about smurf magic on a Saturday morning cartoon and they'll tell a good smurf demon story and then have it get picked up by an elder for a talk and pretty soon it spreads like wildfire across the circuits.

It struck a chord with the really cult indoctrinated and naive. They really bought into it. Meanwhile, more rational and sensible dubs laughed at it (at least quietly and away from the nutters).

Over the years the story has stayed somewhat entertaining because it is so silly. As ex-JWs, we like to point to this silliness as one of the more tangible pieces of evidence of just how nutty the JW religion can be. You can argue doctrine and dates all day and the average person will yawn, but mention that JWs were afraid of..to the point of unofficially banning... anything smurf related and people sit up, take notice and start to chuckle.

The new smurf movie will go by unmentioned by the WTS because they don't really want to encourage the dubs to get all stupid about it again. It's not about demons, real or imagined. It's about the reputation of the organization. By encouraging the irrational behavior of condemning silly cartoon characters it only serves to give them bad press. They're probably hoping that the movie comes and goes without much fanfare. But - if the movie is a blockbuster, it will be interesting to see how many dubs, on their own, remember the old smurf scare from way back when and try to resurrect the fear and superstition all over again.

• Chemical Emotions
    Chemical Emotions

I agree with undercover. Oh, I hope it gets mentioned though. That would be very funny.

• truthseeker1969
    truthseeker1969

They condemn everything else so it wouldn't surprise me if they mentioned this, nothing surprises me anymore.

I remember the whole smurf incident and we all laughed at it so I must have been a rational dub as i think the majority were mature enough to figure it was tongue in cheek fairytale.

In all honesty I think worrying about their reputation as an organisation flew out the window a long time ago as recent articles have proved.

• kzjw
    kzjw

Thanx Undercover....wasn't really sure if the hype came from up top, or from fringe congos...

• Anony Mous
    Anony Mous

@truthseeker:

They already do say that practically. You should not watch, read or look up anything that offends or goes against anything in the bible, glorifies anything God's hate (those who love the world cannot love God), mentions sex or violence (such things should not be mentioned under you), even comes close to the Devil, demons or spiritistic things.

Name anything in TV/Internet/Literature and I will find a problem with it. Heck, I can find problems with most of the Watchtower's and their website even because of the things they depict or talk about (They do talk and depict spiritism, sex and violence). Heck, back when I was 12 I started looking at some WT publications for some of the sexually suggestive poses they depicted as being evil but then I found a lingerie magazine of my mothers.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit