The Governing Body has NEVER claimed to be inspired…

by Alfred 53 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Alfred
    Alfred

There was a recent thread here which covered the subject of the GB claiming to be “spirit directed” (and not actually “inspired” by the holy spirit). By now, most of us are quite aware that this is just a play with words to excuse themselves whenever one of their false doctrines is debunked (by someone using the Bible or their own publications). But when you think of it, “spirit-directed” is actually more presumptuous than “spirit-inspired”.

That being said, I’d really like to draw attention to the fact that the WT continuously claims that the Governing Body of Jehovah’s Witnesses has NEVER claimed to be inspired by God (through his holy spirit). In fact, one of my last conversations with an elder (when I was active) regarding 607-1914, 1935 and other doctrines led this elder to tell me the very same thing. His exact words: “You have to remember, these are imperfect men and they NEVER claimed to be inspired.”

However, this is completely FALSE… They did in fact claim to be inspired by the holy spirit (and also claimed to be God’s prophet) in this May 15, 1955 Watchtower (pages 305 and 308):

Page 305…

16 From the many recorded experiences we next observe that the official “Word” transmits the message either by means of an angelic messenger who appears face to face or by the use of God’s holy spirit to inspire the next agent in the line of communication . On special occasions even the Word himself might appear in a face-to-face interview with the next agent. Who, generally, is the next agent? For supernatural communications that reach the earth the agent (generally a human, although once the ass of Balaam was used) is referred to Biblically a prophet if he is a male servant of God or a prophetess if a woman. The prophet, in turn, speaks out the communication as God’s spokesman on earth. He publishes it to the many whom God intends to hear it if other than a single person is being specifically addressed. The prophet then becomes the immediate earthly channel through which the waters of lifegiving truth are conveyed to earth’s thirsting residents. Thus Jehovah’s earthly channel of communication is identified. The earthly channel is either a prophet or a collective prophetlike organization .

Page 308…

TRUE Christianity as a revealed religion relies fully upon all the progressive revelations of Jehovah’s sacred pronouncements communicated to the earth from the time of Adam to that of the apostle John. Additionally we see how God has provided his Christian servants from Pentecost, A.D. 33, forward with a reliable channel of guidance for the understanding of these amazing revelations of his will and purposes. From the prophetic shadows to the actual realities we observe that this God-provided channel for Christians is the collective congregation of anointed ones who serve as a prophetlike organization under the leadership of its communicating head, Christ Jesus . –Eph 5:23

Yes you read correctly… they can blame these 1955 Watchtower articles on Whacky Freddy all day long if they wish to, but the WT did publish that the GB is in fact inspired by the holy spirit.

So if any of you “lurkers” had any doubt about this, I invite you to go back to your Watchtower CD and verify this for yourselves.

• wobble
    wobble

Good catch Alfred, the JW's outright lie about this, their immediate defense will be, "That was back in 1955, we have since learned we are a spirit-directed organization, not inspired".

Then try to get them to define the difference between the two, good luck with that !

• Nobleheart
    Nobleheart

Thank you Alfred! That's a great find.

• Alfred
    Alfred

I know there were a few articles written before 1955 that implicitly elevate the FDS to the level of a "spirit-inspired" prophet, but I currently don't have quick access to these... I know they exist because I came across these in the past... If anyone can find such articles, please share... Thanks!

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

They also reiterate the prophet claim - carefully avoiding the word inspired, IIRC - in the early 1970s. My WTLib is on the other computer so I don't have the reference handy but the article was entitled something like: "They Shall Know That a Prophet Was Among Them"

A quick search should turn it up.

• dozy
    dozy

If they aren't inspired , in what sense can God be described as "still speaking"?

w987/15p.12BewareofaLackofFaith

15 Paul started his warning with the provisional clause "if you people listen to his own voice." God spoke to his people through Moses and other prophets. Then, Jehovah spoke to them through his Son, Jesus Christ. (Hebrews 1:1, 2) Today, we have God’s complete inspired Word, the Holy Bible. We also have "the faithful and discreet slave," appointed by Jesus to provide spiritual "food at the proper time." (Matthew 24:45-47) Thus, God is still speaking.

• watson
    watson

A spiritually mature person is able to glean the "proper understanding". You sort of have to read between the lines, but it's all there, even in the glow of new light.

• oompa
    oompa

i like the info a lot.....and it ALMOST says they claim to be a prophet....and you can sort of conclude that in the first paragraph but they do not identify who the current prophet is....and then

geeze the second paragraph even ends saying they are a "prophetlike orginazation" .....when of course they could have said they were gods inspired prophet today........they didnt....................oompa

• AuntBee
    AuntBee

Some cool quotes from the WT literature concerning "imperfect men"

"You may wisely decide against putting your trust in imperfect men and their fallible predictions and promises." 3/15/66

"Build your hope on Scriptural truth, not on the imaginations of imperfect men." 1/1/68

"....how deep-seated within imperfect men can be the desire for distinction, to have prominent positions and prestige." 10/1/68

"The Bible's main objective is to provide sound guidance for living in harmony with the will of God. Logically, therefore, what it says should be far superior to what imperfect men not following it have recommended and continue to recommend as a guide." 3/1/75

"According to First Timothy 6:20 it would be unwise to fill one's mind with philosophies of imperfect men" (9/1/1975)

"whenever God's Word is displaced by the views of imperfect men as a source of guidance, serious problems can result." 4/1/78

"They (approved servants of God) are convinced that the head of the Christian congregation is the Lord Jesus Christ. They will not identify themselves with groups that exalt imperfect men;" 6/1/80

" Can you imagine the potential for abuse if Jesus' power were placed in the hands of an imperfect ruler? But Jesus was sinless. (1 Peter 2:22) He refused to be tainted by the selfishness, ambition, and greed that drive imperfect men to use their power to hurt others." (Close to Jehovah, p.93)

• Billen76

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit