What do you think of the pictures (both illustrations and photos) in WT literature?

by Chemical Emotions 30 Replies latest jw friends

• Chemical Emotions
    Chemical Emotions

I used to really like the drawings as a kid. The artists, I think, are usually pretty good, not so much at portraying emotions but in technical ways. The photos always seemed silly to me.

So what do all of you think?

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

The seem very contrived and cheesy now that I know it was and is all BS.

• Bucholz
    Bucholz

Well, the illustrations in the "Bible Stories" book gave me a couple of nightmares as a child. The one where the city of Jericho is destroyed, the one where a baby is held upside down before Salomon, the one where everybody dies during the Flood, and so on.

• MrMonroe
    MrMonroe

The depictions of "worldly" pursuits -- gambling, clubbing, gangs, crime, flirting -- were always embarrassing because they were so obviously used with good Dubs pretending to be baaaaad.

I remember being distracted at a Watchtower study one Sunday morning by a picture of Noah and his sons building the ark in which horizontal planks of timber along the side of the vessel were being joined at a point between the verticals. In other words the ends of those horizontal planks weren't fixed to anything, they just butted up the next one. I guessed that whoever drew (and approved) that illustration had never built anything of timber. Maybe they'd gone straight to Bethel instead of trade school.

• Chemical Emotions
    Chemical Emotions

I love the pics of the "wordly people". Lol. So fake...

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

I am older. There was an orange book, not quite written for children but supposedly more accessible, that had very scary illustrations from the OT and the big A. As I became a little bit older and was exposed to fine art and an explosion of commerical art with Andy Warhol in the 1960s, just very bad quality. It was camp but without the send up bit.

My brother and I laugh about the drawings to this day. Jesus was sans beard for so long. The Metropoitan Museum had one of the very early chalices where he was depicted without a beard. It was something to finally see it. There wasn't an aura around it. Nothing special in the midst of spectular Roman art. I don't know if the artists are goofing with us or not. JW art has a very specific style. There must be a manual or template. So now Jesus has a beard and since my grandparents, too young to be remnant, have all died off, I hear this someting called generations. I thought it was a Star Trek film.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

I am older. There was an orange book, not quite written for children but supposedly more accessible, that had very scary illustrations from the OT and the big A. As I became a little bit older and was exposed to fine art and an explosion of commerical art with Andy Warhol in the 1960s, just very bad quality. It was camp but without the send up bit.

My brother and I laugh about the drawings to this day. Jesus was sans beard for so long. The Metropoitan Museum had one of the very early chalices where he was depicted without a beard. It was something to finally see it. There wasn't an aura around it. Nothing special in the midst of spectular Roman art. I don't know if the artists are goofing with us or not. JW art has a very specific style. There must be a manual or template. So now Jesus has a beard and since my grandparents, too young to be remnant, have all died off, I hear this someting called generations. I thought it was a Star Trek film.

• clearpoison
    clearpoison

In most cases they did not gave me any feelings, some drawings remind very much those you can see in Chinese and North-Korean PR (propaganda) pictures.

My favorites are somewhat harder pictures like the one in Paradise lost book where Ezekiel looks at lots of human bones. That was my absolute favorite as kid, I always returned to that picture. Also in same book the picture where Simson destroys the palace was my favorite. More recent favorite is the picture of beast with two horns in chapter 28 in revelation book. I think it's cute, it's smiling in nice way, I would almost say it's flirting with it's eyes.

Maybe I have some issues

CP

• clearpoison
    clearpoison

Band- the orange book you refer to is my childhood picture favorite Paradise lost.

CP

• daringhart13
    daringhart13

I feel sorry for the artists who are clearly wasting their talent ....

But who doesn't like seeing people run in terror from fireballs in the sky....

Its love ....I tell you, its love....

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit