Childhood memories of the "Truth"

by sleepy 13 Replies latest jw friends

• Nicolas
    Nicolas

I remember those days where I had to wake up at 6 o'clock at every week-end. It was really boring. My dad wanted me to sing at the beginning of the meeting and at the end but I didn't want because I was too shy. Also, my father wanted me to go on door to door while I was only 9 years old. There was always this big fear of Armaggeddon because I wasn't baptize and I thought that every person who weren't baptize would die at the big A. I really hope that I won't do the samething to my children when, I'll be older.

Black holes are where God divided by zero.

• aarque
    aarque

This happened more than 40 years ago, but for me it was like it happened yesterday. The Ministry School/Service Meeting was on Friday nights and ran way past my normal bedtime. I was about six years old, and couldn't sit through the two plus hours after a full day of school. I was restless and my older sisters kept nudging me with their elbows, trying to make me sit still. After the meeting was over, the presiding overseer came up to me and said that if I didn't learn to sit still during the meetings, then I would die at Armageddon. Pictures of Armageddon from the Paradise book flashed through my head. After we finally got home and went to bed, there was a huge thunderstorm. I was petrified--I thought for sure I was going to die. For years afterwards I was terrified of electrical storms. My mom never knew why. (She wasn't at that Friday meeting, and didn't know the overseer had spoken to me) I finally told her about it a few years ago. She was shocked and told me had she known, she would have confronted the overseer.

• Solace
    Solace

aarque;
    That is so awful!
    Whats sad is, I know some adults who have such a strong belief, they are going through the same thing as we speak. I know my mother is.
    Pretty sick, huh?.

• AMarie
    AMarie

I don't want to recall the bad things that I dealt with as a JW kid. However, I do remember something really funny that happened. At a Monday night bookstudy, my friends little brother, who was about 7 at the time went to use the restroom. The restroom door was at the back of the room, so everybody could hear what was going on in there.

After the little boy shuts and locks the door, he starts HOWLING. He was going "hoooooowwwwlllll Baby" over and over. It was histerical.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit