Belief in God: What were the difficult aspects and questions you had.

by designs 81 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• designs
    designs

Two main one's for me were God being Capricious and Serendipitous.

• sabastious
    sabastious

When I left the Witnesses I called myself an agnostic. I call myself a diest now.

For God to be real, for me, I needed to see miracles. Of course, as an individual, I define what is a miracle is and what is not on a case by case basis. I see miracles all the time in many different forms. To me, from my experience, there can't not be a God.

-Sab

• Paralipomenon
    Paralipomenon

For me it was free will.

Why would I be given free will only to be punished for using it?

If I was born in India and was raised a Hindu, why should that condemn me to an eternity of fire and punishment, even if I lived a good life?

I admit that the world around us is amazing. The variety of animal and plantlife is astounding. But ignorance as to how and why doesn't create a necessity for a creator. It just means we don't know and gives us something to try to discover.

• sabastious
    sabastious
    I admit that the world around us is amazing. The variety of animal and plantlife is astounding. But ignorance as to how and why doesn't create a necessity for a creator. It just means we don't know and gives us something to try to discover.

Do you think it's feasible, and possibly evidenced, to believe that someone or something wants us to discover the truth about the natural world?

-Sab

• Paralipomenon
    Paralipomenon

Do you think it's feasible, and possibly evidenced, to believe that someone or something wants us to discover the truth about the natural world?

In the context our one planet, perhaps. My research into astronomy is very humbling though. When you consider how many stars are out there and the number of planets and this is only what we can see. The better we make telescopes, the more we discover in our universe.

Given that context, it's more mathematically possible to believe that life was able to form and grow from basic elemental building blocks than to believe that a supremely powerful diety just willed itself into existance and then started to build people on a whim.

• unshackled
    unshackled

Being a born-in, my belief in a God was the God of the Bible. Once I started to question the Bible and the God described therein, the house of cards collapsed. The questioning began for me with wondering why the God of the Bible was such a collosal f*ck up. How many times does a loving, all powerful creator need to wipe out his creation and start over? Why even once?

Zeus, Ra and Yahweh are all one in the same...human inventions. After that I had no need or desire to take up another flavor of belief in a god. As for the why and how questions of our existence and the universe, to invoke a god doesn't answer anything. It just leads to - what are the why's and how's of that god? Ah, magic.

• sabastious
    sabastious
    In the context our one planet, perhaps. My research into astronomy is very humbling though. When you consider how many stars are out there and the number of planets and this is only what we can see. The better we make telescopes, the more we discover in our universe.

And everytime we press the magnify button and see more no life, even remotely comparable to our own, is found. However, I would never presume to conclude that we are the only form of intelligent life.

The fact that the universe is so large is evidence of GREATER intelligence, which could easily fit under many of our descriptions of "God."

-Sab

• sabastious
    sabastious
    Given that context, it's more mathematically possible to believe that life was able to form and grow from basic elemental building blocks than to believe that a supremely powerful diety just willed itself into existance and then started to build people on a whim.

I swear 999/1000 people I have encountered who question the existence of a creator lump all ideas of God within a "supreme being" concept and then use that concept to support their anti-creator conclusion. STOP THAT! It's entirely feasible for God to only be a "supreme being" in relation to his creation. The Bible, or any other rigid view of God, is NOT representative of our creator, if he/it exists, simply because it cannot logically fill that role because of inherent limitations.

-Sab

• EntirelyPossible
    EntirelyPossible

And everytime we press the magnify button and see more no life, even remotely comparable to our own, is found. However, I would never presume to conclude that we are the only form of intelligent life.

The fact that the universe is so large is evidence of GREATER intelligence, which could easily fit under many of our descriptions of "God."

*sigh*....really? You simultaneously hint at an absence of evidence as evidence of absence as well as use the the words fact and evidence to point to God?

Science...it doesn't work the way you think it does.

• bohm
    bohm

I swear 999/1000 people I have encountered who question the existence of a creator lump all ideas of God within a "supreme being" concept and then use that concept to support their anti-creator conclusion. STOP THAT!

thats just plain old false. any atheist i can think of leave it to the theist to define a god-hypothesis.

that god-hypothesis is often a supreme being, which is why it is often considered by atheists.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit