Frak & Frakking

by IMHO 13 Replies latest social entertainment

• Lore
    Lore

How did they get away with it when it so obviously just another word for f**k?

Because there's no rule against using substitute words.

Red Dwarf made up 'Smeg' which they used in place of pretty much every other expletive.

Recess made up the word 'whomp'. Which if I recall correctly, the kids in the school made it up, but then when the principle found out it was a fake curse word he tried to make them stop using it.

Spongebob makes up a bunch of them. 'Halibut' in place of 'hell'. 'Barnacles' in place of various other words.

Friendship is Magic uses 'hay' instead of 'hell'

The whole idea of vulgar words is pretty silly when you give it any kind of thought.

I don't know who the halibut shoud give a smeg about some frakking fake swear words when the whole fucking idea of 'offensive words' is a whomping load of barnacles.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

Rock performers love adding the banned words in concert. The truth is they sold out to be on radio. I feel "F.... is way overused. It has lost its potency. M........is another too used phrase. If you use them all the time, their shock value is gone. I'm reading this massive commentary on Shakespeare and voila.

It seems so silly. So many entertainers have to go from one vocabulary to another. Those FCC fines are high. We know what those words stand for- even little children know.

WBAI broadcast Can't think of his name. Irish NYer, Big Comic, Seven Dirty Words. A very conservative fellow listened to it from the Geo. Washington Bridge to past the Tappan Zee with his child in the backseat. He was so affected, he could not change the dial. A conservative FCC ruled against Geo. Carlin and WBAI. It made George Carlin immortal. The Supreme Court case had to include all seven dirty words at federal expense.

If the man just changed the station, to AM or something, his son would not have irreparable damage, WBAI would not hefty fines and American jurisprudence would not be capped by Seven Dirty Words.

• talesin
    talesin

BOTR --- you are a plethora of information .... I appreciate you so much

t

• Chariklo
    Chariklo

Wonderful fractals.

I am fascinated by fractals in nature. And I just love the fractal vegetable romanesco.

There's a picture here.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Romanesco_broccoli

Tastes good and is good for you too...and totally, perfectly fractal.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit