What's This Thing Called Consciousness?

by frankiespeakin 38 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• JamesThomas
    JamesThomas

There are countless beliefs surrounding this question. But beliefs are just that...beliefs or conceptual ideas that leave us void of a real satisfying conclusion.

Perhaps the genuine answer can be found only when we look deeply and silently at our own sense of consciousness until the question dissolves.

• mindseye
    mindseye

Thanks for the links, frankiespeakin. This subject has been on the forefront of my mind lately, I started to read a book on consciousness by psychologist Susan Blackmore. The big question for me is does the 'self' actually exist at all. Buddhist thought holds that the self is illusory. The philosopher David Hume concluded that the self is not an entity, but a "bundle of sensations". Fascinating stuff.

JamesThomas, with advances in neuroscience, ideas concerning consciousness might not be just 'beliefs' much longer, but eventually acheive some scientific validity. But sometimes I think the questions are more fun than conclusive answers, anyway.

• Terry
    Terry

Atoms resonating in an echo effect creating a meta state.

• bohm
    bohm

emperically, it is a side-effect of having a sufficiently large number of neurons engage in a particular type of corrolated activity. Beyond that we simply do not know. isnt that great?

• Juan Viejo2
    Juan Viejo2

bohm - PM at ya...

• ProdigalSon
    ProdigalSon

This is awesome information that needs to be spread. Conciousness is real energy that has a real effect on the physical reality, which we create both individually and collectively. At the same time, each person experiences and perceives reality from his/her own unique perspective. The ancients knew how to focus and direct that energy like a laser, and that's how they built the monoliths. Like Jesus said, one day we would once again "move mountains" with our "faith".

Deep down inside and underneath all those superficial "consciousnesses" (egos) is our true self which is a piece of God (The Soul). The trick is to find it. A good yoga class is a nice place to start.

Great article from the Madame about Buddhist Elements....

http://www.blavatsky.net/magazine/theosophy/ww/additional/christianity/BuddhistElements.html

• frankiespeakin
  • ballistic
    ballistic

I have an idea that the entire universe works on the basis of frequencies. Frequency is why we apreciate music, it's what makes most things tick, none the least our mind, in fact all things. Why do we love music. It's just another frequency to tickle our senses. I think it will turn out that existance itself is just a complex set of frequencies.

• ProdigalSon
    ProdigalSon

Music and art are the only two things that are quantum.... versus, let's say, a droning brother giving the Sunday talk, which is linear. In music, the more instruments and voices there are, the better it sounds, as long as everything is in harmony of course. Now take five or six of those droning brothers all giving separate talks at the same time.... imagine the intolerable noise! We cannot possibly process the cacaphony.... but a symphony... ahhhh, it's paradise for the ears.

• frankiespeakin

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit