A new twist on the overlapping generations

by PYRAMIDSCHEME 16 Replies latest jw friends

• PYRAMIDSCHEME
    PYRAMIDSCHEME

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3B5yrycmj9U&feature=share

(This video was posted on the facebook page: towerwatch.)

In 2010 we had the new light on the overlapping generations...now there seems to be a new twist. In this talk we are told that the first group, or generation, would have to have been spirit anionted by 1914 to be a part of that generation who saw 1914. Which means Fred Franz could not have been part of that first group as they told us last year. They also include Rev:6:9-11 as another scritpture that backs up there "new light".

Now to me this makes the second group, or generation, just as old as the first one was when the infamous watchtower came out with the title of the generation that will not end (or something like that) in the early 80's. Is this all a new twist on the never ending generation?

• Aussie Oz
    Aussie Oz

It is no doubt a case of the left hand not knowing what the right hand is doing...

sloppy writing, sloppy research...

one writer doesnt even know what another has written!

no JW will pick it up and it will never be mentioned again...

oz

• steve2
    steve2

As if the average JW has the motivation and/or active brain cells to think through the latest inconsistently fanciful cut and paste job. At least Franz gave the appearance of having sat down in a dusty library, reading widely - albeit selectively - to give his crazy interpretations some "scholarly" respectability. The latest bunch of GB dumbos don't even care enough to make sure their spin is internally consistent...cause the JWs wouldn't notice if it were inconsistent anyway. Only people who bother to read and think would conclude thus.

• munchausen
    munchausen

Thanks for posting. It certainly sounds authentic - very typical of the usual assembly.

Funny, the 89 year old lady who was interviewed used the word generation in the usual way, that is, her generation that saw the depression and WW2. Of course she used it that way; what else can it mean? Then the speaker develops the twisted reasoning that two groups that overlap can make a generation. By that same reasoning, they could say that the 89 year old was of the Civil War generation, since her life overlapped with someone who saw the Civil War. It is a ridiculous stretch of the imagination, I can't believe anyone can accept it.

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

In 2010 we had the new light on the overlapping generations...now there seems to be a new twist. In this talk we are told that the first group, or generation, would have to have been spirit anionted by 1914 to be a part of that generation who saw 1914. Which means Fred Franz could not have been part of that first group as they told us last year.

This is incorrect.

Franz became a baptized Bible Student in 1913 and was 21 years old in 1914. He was part of Overlap Generation 1.0. Remember at this time ALL were anointed. There was no earthly 'great crowd' or 'other sheep' doctrine. You join the club, you're anointed. There is no change, tweak, or twist to the doctrine this year. It's the same baloney.

• DesirousOfChange
  • Lunatic Faith
    Lunatic Faith
    There is no change, tweak, or twist to the doctrine this year.

I don't remember hearing the new explanation offered in this talk before. The application of Revelation 6:9-11. That sounded to me like they had been frantically trying to find further scriptural evidence to support their crazy new idea and found a way to twist a totally unrelated scripture around.

Then his comment that the current overlapping generation was advanced in years seemed, to me, to contradict what we understood last summer. That if the last member of the first generation (1.0) died in 1992 then somebody born just before then who began to partake would be part of that overlapping generation. A generation that could not be considered advanced in years.

It seemed to me the above referenced talk was a "refinement" of their teaching due to widespread criticism and confusion. I agree with steve2, it sounds like a cut and paste job.

• Quendi
    Quendi

bookmark

• GOrwell
    GOrwell

I yearn for the good ol' days of Franz and Co when new light was consistent, intelligent and (dare I say?) reasonably reasoned. The new stuff just doesn't measure up.

• factfinder
    factfinder

Thank you for posting this.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit