Parallels to The Borg in movies?

by fade_away 17 Replies latest jw experiences

• fade_away
    fade_away

'Afternoon, Everyone! Hope y'all don't mind if I ghost write this post for my husband...

I recently let my friend borrow my copy of the movie "The Island". For those who haven't seen it, the plot takes place in a futuristic setting in Los Angeles where science has perfected human cloning. The latest rage in medicine is to have a clone made and maintained for you should you ever need it for organ transplants. The main character is a clone living in a special facility with all these other clones and the way these people running the facility keep the clones under control is to have them believe they are survivors ofa post apocalyptic event that contaminated the whole world and they have to stay there where it's safe. they have a shallow but all-encompassing world built for these clones including a belief system, education, entertainment, employment and even one common goal which is to secure a place for themselves in "The Island" which they are made believe is singular little utopia in the whole world that did not suffer the effects of global contamination. The main character begins to doubt everything he has ever known to be true and in a series of dynamic events, learns "the truth about the lie" so to speak. Should I have piqued someone's interest out there, I won't ruin the story and give the rest away..

Another movie I saw for the five millionth time recently and had a little silent "OMG" moment, was Victor Fleming's The Wizard of Oz. Dorothy ventures off in the company of her friends under honest belief that the the omnicient Wizard of Oz would help them in their plight only to learn that it was smoke and mirrors, or better yet, a man behind a curtain. Rather than get bitter and angry after facing disapointment, she finds that the key to her happiness was with her all along, rather than her belief in a wizard who would wave his magic wand and make it all better.

We also have the new Disney movie, Tangled, which has already been discussed in this forum, and then we also have The Matrix. Now there are just too many parallels there to even point all of them out! I have a mild interest in etymology and I just love the name they chose for the three movies. "Matrix" as in Latin for "Mother". we are made beleive that without our mother we could not exist. when in reality, as it is later revealed, that the Matrix, this network of machines are very much dependant on humans to exist.

I would very much like to hear y'all's take on this meager observation of mine and if anyone can recommend any good movies with a similar theme, it would just make my trip to the movie store that much more fun!

• Free!!
    Free!!

U have been thinking too much again AE.... lol.. but i do agree w you, specially about tangled and the Island... i thought about the same thing when i saw them... but i know will get someone here to give us some insight.. btw... get on FB!!

• Iseenow
    Iseenow

I have not seen the Island (kinda weary of Michael Bay tbh) but I did think the Matrix was like the Borg, especially since they said some minds are "not ready" to be freed and others try to protect it- like many JWs. Also those that are free cannot really go back but do try to free others.

• Nickolas
  • Mickey mouse
    Mickey mouse

Not seen Tangled yet but here are mine:

The Trueman Show

The Island

The Village

The Matrix

Pleasantville

Equilibrium

Invasion of the Body snatchers

Happy Feet

• AwareBeing
    AwareBeing

Yes our families have watched these too.

At our home, we came to the same conclusions as you.

A really telling series to watch is "Star-Gate." The parallels are shocking!

RE: Jaffar=Catholic Church, The Ori=WT GB, The Gate=the Internet,

SGS Team=people like us; with Daniel the archaeologist, Tealc the escaped victim,

and others. For movies, geeks like Tron.

• mummatron
    mummatron

Good selection Mickey Mouse.

Son of Rambow - one of the main characters is part of the Plymouth Brethren. When I saw it the restrictions, Elder set-up, women wearing head coverings and how they view outsiders as 'Worldly', reminded me very much of being in the bOrg.

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

Logan's Run with Michael York. The Island was loosely based on it, IIRC.

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

A Wrinkle in Time---best description of paradise. The main brain sends out a pulse and everyone is hypnotized and controlled to act uniformly.

NC

• AwareBeing
    AwareBeing

Our family watched the Village, it was scary, but intriguing.

The community was living in the past just a century ahead of the Amish standards.

The leaders were using old text books, and rolled back the years of the calendar date

to match that same century! Wow, just thinking about it gives me clarity!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit