New to the Board

by 30 years out 21 Replies latest jw friends

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

Welcome to the forum

After stumbling onto this site and reading some of the experiences it all came back and I realized that most of us needed professional help which we never received. I found that even with being away for so long there are still issues I have never dealt with completely. I had no one to talk to about my situation back then and I hope I can save someone a little bit of the anguish by giving them an alternative way to see the world.

Far too many people think that once they are out the story is ended. Sadly it can continue to lie dormant inside for decades. I was DFed but still believed for another 10 years until I found the internet and websites like this one.

Keep reading and learning and sharing your story. You most definitely are not alone

• Reopened Mind
    Reopened Mind

30 years out,

I never could understand the prejudice people had toward those who were gay or black or communist or anything else for that matter. For the most part we all want the same thing---to live in peace with our fellow humans. Our differences is what enhances the fabric of our lives. Yet at one time I too was the judgemental narrow minded cult member. If feels so good to accept people for what they are instead of trying to squeeze them into something they cannot be.

I am happy for you that you have a life partner of 14 years.

Just curious, do you have any contact with your child?

Reopened Mind

• moshe
    moshe

Thank you for telling your story- and welcome.

• ABibleStudent
    ABibleStudent

Welcome 30 years out and thank you for your post. Have you told your Df'ed family members about reading Steve Hassan's books (e.g., "Combatting Cult Mind Control") and Raymond Franz's books (e.g., "Crisis of of Consience") and visiting www.jwfacts.com and Steve Hassan's webiste (www.freedomofmind.com)? I wish you and your family the best in rebuilding your lives and overcoming the indoctrination of the WTBTS.

Peace be with you and everyone, who you love,

ABibleStudent

• 30 years out
    30 years out

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome. It is amazing how deeply engrained the teachings can be and each time we overcome one we have a moment of triumph.

In answer to some of your questions: I do have a very strong relationship with my daughter and grand children even though we are separated by several states we do a video call every weekend and daily emails. Part of what made it difficult for me to help my DF'd relatives is that while they were going out of their way to avoid giving their local witnesses the opportunity to shun them, I frequently will intentionally put myself in their way to watch how silly they look making their little "point".

• Knowsnothing
    Knowsnothing

Welcome! Glad to have ya.

• nugget
    nugget

Welcme to the board. Thank you for sharing your experiences.

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
  • kazar
    kazar

Welcome 30 years! Glad you are here. Your story is interesting and I hope to hear more from you in your future posts.

• sizemik
    sizemik

30 years out . . . a big welcome to you . . .

We're all still on our own personal journey . . . that's why we're here . . . glad to have you with us. Thanks for sharing your story.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit