Who has NOT read Combatting Cult Mind Control or Crisis of Conscience?

by Mad Sweeney 69 Replies latest jw experiences

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

A lot of people here have read and highly recommend CCMC by Steven Hassan and CoC by Ray Franz, myself included. I don't know how I would have handled leaving the Borg without that knowledge.

So thinking that got me to wondering, who here has NOT read them (or has read one but not the other), and how ARE you coping with exiting the Borg? Did you get counseling? Go to meetups? Just participate in online discussions? Got busy living and tried not to look back at all? What were your methods of exiting and adjusting and how successful do you feel they've been without the above-mentioned books?

• God_Delusion
    God_Delusion

I haven't, but that's because I can't find a copy and won't read pirated PDF's.

Regards,

Carlos

• leavingwt
    leavingwt
    can't find a copy

Please elaborate. One is available as an instant download for less than ten bucks. The other is available, used, in paperback for less than ten bucks.

• mochamint22
    mochamint22

ive never read it before. what's the buzz about it. any examples of whats in it that helps cope ?

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

Following the recent book recommendation thread I've ordered Combatting Cult Mind Control from Amazon (less than £8). I've heard so many positive things about this book - hope I won't be dissappointed . . .

• botchtowersociety
    botchtowersociety

I've read CoC, but not CCMC.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt
    ive never read it before.

Which one? Neither?

• cantleave
    cantleave

Nic you won't be disappointed.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt
    I've heard so many positive things about this book - hope I won't be dissappointed . . .

At the time Hassan wrote his first book, 'Combatting Cult Mind Control', he didn't know anything about the JWs. He had assumed that they were odd, but harmless. With this in mind, the content of the book is even more impressive. As he describes the various cults that he had researched, you begin to realize that WT is not special. You see examples of how many other organizations use the same high-control tactics, etc.

Randy Watters later contacted Hassan to ask why he had not spoken of the JWs, and the rest is history.

Since then, Hassan has personally assisted more than 1,000 JWs in leaving the WT organization.

• TheSilence
    TheSilence

I've not read either one. Why is simply because it's not generally the type of book I prefer to read. I believe I am doing rather well. No counseling, no meetups. When an issue comes up with any family that are still witnesses there are a few ex-witnesses I speak about it with on another forum... or, more accurately, I kind of vent and work my way through it in a public way, I think. But it doesn't happen often these days. I am simply me and happy to be so. :)

Jackie

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit