Please give me your ideas to beat the cost of internet/phone/cable package...

by FlyingHighNow 36 Replies latest jw friends

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

I love roku, I'm so glad I got one. I didn't go all out, I bought the $70 one and it is wonderful. I have Net10 and I like it too. My cable bundle is $130/month so the next step for me is to get rid of the phone part of the bundle and just use my cell phone. I very seldom watch television any more, I watch Netflix most of the time on Roku, so I think I can get rid of the television part of my bundle too and just have high-speed internet, which I do need for work.

Thanks for starting this thread, FHN, the information is great.

• Anime Nerd
    Anime Nerd

I would also like to agree with the posters who suggested keeping the high speed internet, but getting rid of cable. Why pay for channels that you don't watch? Netflix/Blockbuster, Hulu, Youtube, and TV over the air should be more than enough.

Might I also suggest building a Home Theater PC. You can build one for about $600. You can then buy an HDHomerun, which is a devise that will allow you to record your "over the air" channels in HD onto your computer. Hookup your PC to your tv, via hdmi, and you won't need to pay for Hulu Plus; you'll be able to watch regular Hulu for free, on your tv. You can also watch Netflix Instant Streaming through your pc; so you won't need to buy a Roku.

If you own a newer Blu-Ray player, you may already have the ability to watch Netflix Instant Streaming through it.

If you're interested in building a Home Theater PC, go visit avsforum and click on "Home Theater PC," on the left side of the page. You'll find 2 stickied threads at the top, detailing how to build a Home Theater PC; and some threads on different software settups, to get the most use out of your pc.

• Snoozy
    Snoozy

FHN, I am in the same boat. I was paying $107. a month for all 3 for a year and I just got a notice that the year is over and it is now $149 a month!

They will lock me in at $114. if I will comit for two years..I'm not about to do that and I am sure the $114. doesn't include taxes etc.

I have been looking around and am going to try ATT U-verse as it seems like everyone says how cheap it is right now. I just got a letter from someone in the mail (not Att letterhead or envelope) that claims I can get ATT Long distance included for $14.95 a month.. I would grab it but it looks like a mass mailing by an individual..don't know what to think about it.

I have to have a landline for security hooked up to the building and in case of a 9-11 emergency.

As far as the free phones gofor it! My daughter got two. One for her and one for her school age son. I don't know where you live but she is in Illinois. I am sure you can get them if they offer them in the area you live in. Go for it! She said they didn't even check her income.(.if they did they would have found out she made too much).

Wish I could offer something better but I am going to be doing some calling ..

Have you tried calling them and seeing what kind of deals they may have going now? Stupid me, they called me right before my time was up (which I didn't know) and offered to give me all of what I had plus U verse for only 114. a month..that included taxes. After I found out they raised my amount I called and tried to get the special deal but they wouldn't give it to me then..Grrr...

Snoozy

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Thank you all, keep the great ideas coming. I just found out from the website mentioned that with an on tv antenna, I can only pick up 7 channels. I tried an antenna yesterday and could only pick up about 4 or 5 pBS and one radio channel.

• Snoozy
    Snoozy

FHN I live on the bottom floor also. I have to stand by the patio door if I want good reception on my cell phone.. If I was going to cut back I think I would stay with basic cable only and rent movies if I was in the mood. Or watch movies on the computer..a computer that can show on your TV screen is nice.. My computer screen is small.

Snoozy

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

I pay far less to Comcast but I don't know your details. One thing is clear to me. I've telephoned them b/c my rates will jump sky high one month when a promo ends. Tough luck. Next,, I say you have competition. Tough luck. When I mention the word "Verizon," all of a sudden I am quoted a very good rate.

It makes me wonder if they have true rates with all the specials.

• AwareBeing
    AwareBeing

We feal realy bad for everyone, we were there not long ago.

Our close relatives are still paying those prices. After getting several bills for $139, we made a change.

List; one time equipment: 1) MagicJack=$19.99,

2) Digital Antenna=$19.99 @ $39.98 total once only.

List; monthly fees for : 1) cable company=$20.00 [slow speed],

2) MagicJack=($19.99 @ y. /12=)$1.67 @ $21.67 monthly total.

If we're not willing to give our family's hard earned money to an international organization of false prophets,

why should we then endow the greedy merchants of Revelation?

Blessings to all you struggling families out there.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit