Misc Ramblings on Spirituality, Faith, God, and Religion, (probably in that order)

by AllTimeJeff 12 Replies latest watchtower bible

• AllTimeJeff
    AllTimeJeff

As usual, and should be expected, this forum is going to be a catch all for a variety of different opinions on religion., faith, god, and spirituality. How can it not be? And of course, this can tick certain people off.

I have had help on the way to my journey. To me, that word really is the key to understanding:

Journey.

A friend once referred me to this essay, which I will share here, The Four Stages of Spiritual Growth I have shared it here in this forum before, and I share it again as a statement that I think accurately describes most people and their journey.

The debates on JWN are really intersections without stop signs or traffic signals. We crash bump into each other on our journey, sometimes taking great pains and joy to back up and try to run each over repeatedly. Other times, some of us see the intersection, realize that others are crossing.... Then we leave here, on our spiritual journey (usually) on our path away from Jehovahs Witnesses to where ever we think we are going.

Some of us argue for our positions. Other's discovering they have none (or can't see a position they agree with) are happy to simply argue against another's position. But I digress....

The fact is, we all need to have and feel purpose in life. Leaving JW's is about the only thing many of us have in common.

Which is why this post isn't about my thought's about Spirituallity, Faith, God, and Religion. I am on a journey. Some days I don't give a crap. There are other time's where I aim and fire at the intersection, just daring someone for a fight. Those aren't great days for me, to be honest. Thankfully, I don't think I do that too much anymore.

Well ok, just a couple of thoughts.

Much respect to the atheists and agnostics for your honesty.

Much respect to people of faith and those who endeavor to be "spiritual", no matter how you define that for yourself, and show your spirituality by loving others (not necesarrily agreeing, just accepting and loving)

Very little respect to those solidly stuck in 'Stage 2' (see the link above) who insist on throwing their immature religous tantrums. You don't tell on god, nor do you or can you represent god. All you are representing is where you are, and you are in a very immature, intolerant, judgemental place.

Nevertheless, we all can (and very likely will) change. So regardless of where you are, if you insist on throwing yourself headlong into an intersection hoping to hit someone heading in a different direction, or are careful, or just want to sit on the sideline, I wish you success on your journey. Consider loving a little more, judging a little less, and acknowledge that you do not live in a bubble, but on a planet filled with over 7 BILLION people who think and believe way differently then you do, but would still for the most part really like to be chill with you anyway.

Now back to your regularly scheduled demolition derby.

• palmtree67
    palmtree67

The image of a "spiritual journey" is what resonates with me most deeply.

I like to think of it as a road - those ahead of me on the journey have left helpful clues and information, some of which will be helpful to me, some won't- because I'm travelling at a different time of year. The road is different for everyone because roads change all the time, there are issues, dangers and challenges unique to the time YOU are travelling.

I try to leave hints and clues behind for those who will travel behind me.

I don't think it matters where we are on that road- it only matters that we are on the road.

I'm so glad you are posting again, ATJ. Always a soft spot in my heart for you............

• still thinking
    still thinking

AllTimeJeff thank you for sharing your thoughts and the essay...I have just finished reading it...something to think about for sure...

• wobble
    wobble

Good O.P as usual ATJ, please don't be astranger at our door, your contributions here are greatly appreciated.

I can clearly see my progress on my journey, and I wonder how far I will travel, I don't think there really is a final destination, the journey ends at death of course for me, but all the time I am alive I shall travel along the road to greater enlightenment,tolerance and compassion.

• cantleave
    cantleave

Interesting - looking at that essay I guess I'm stage III.

• jay88
    jay88

The four stages seem dogmatic.

To each his own I guess.

• AllTimeJeff
    AllTimeJeff

I think that arguements are needed and inevitable. I have my own views that are important to me. Don't get me wrong, the 13 year old in me loves to argue, and I root for certain posters against some here I consider to be self righteous, etc.

If all you do though IS argue, and that is where you are stuck at, that is worrisome. That is what JW's do. They are stuck, a one trick pony incapably of introspection, and they breed that thought process into everyone.

I have no problems with debates, as long as everyone is moving forward. I really do believe though that as a planet, we have to get off this idea that there is an absolute truth. There isn't. There is only our truth and purpose, and to me, that is at the core of personal spirituality.

The ironic thing is that posters here like godrulz would absolutely be gaga for Allah if he were born in the middle east. It's the accident of where we are born that serves to inform us of our god traditions. From there, what and how we argue only serves to tell on us, not god.

• AllTimeJeff
    AllTimeJeff

jay88, I don't think that Peck argue's for these 4 stages specifically. They are general guidelines. It is necesarry to quantify a behavior or point of view to have a discussion.

But his point is that dogmatism is a less mature behavior and outlook then being honest and saying as stage 3 atheists/agnostics do, that there is no god (at least as dogmatic stage 2's describe god), and that the most mature point of view is a stage 4, one that loves and accepts all, and is honest enough to at least admit to the utility of love and spirituality in mankind generally.

When I see someone arguing for a god that has been absent 2000 years yet continue to insist that their view is correct, that is immature. Period. When I see another argue for the same god, but in the context of what that god does for them personally, I think that is a more mature outlook. Same god, different person describing him.

• AllTimeJeff
    AllTimeJeff

Thanks Palm and Wobble. It is nice to come back. I wish I could take life less seriously then I do sometimes, but that is my own 'cross' to bear. :)

• jay88
    jay88

I said that because I am mixture of 1 and 4,....supposedly,( sure I am)

What the world needs is more hypothesis based off quadrants.

Please take this with a grain of salt.

jay,

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit