Heavenly Hope

by Quendi 13 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Nebeska Nada
    Nebeska Nada

Did you know that my Nickname in Croatian means: HEAVENLY HOPE

• Quendi
    Quendi

Hello All. Sorry it has taken me so long to return to this thread. I notice that another thread with the same subject is being discussed elsewhere on this board, and some of you may want to contribute your thoughts to it.

I suppose I am what can be called a "modern preterist". There is a wonderful website on preterism that explains much about it if you want to learn more. You can access it at http://www.preteristarchive.com/. At any rate, let me briefly put forward my thinking about the heavenly hope. I believe it is limited to a comparatively small number of Christians. I think the number 144,000 is a symbolic one and should not be taken literally. No, I do not consider myself to be one of the called and chosen to serve as a king and priest with Christ in heaven. Instead, I hold that if I receive everlasting life, it will be here on Earth in a physical body. That is because I believe that everlasting life on Earth was God's original purpose and design for humanity and that he has not abandoned that purpose. The resurrection of a limited number of humans to heavenly life is to facilitate the fulfillment of that purpose. It is one of the few points in common I still hold with Jehovah's Witnesses.

That also means that I do not celebrate the Lord's Supper either alone or with others. I do not partake of the emblems. And I have never felt the promptings of the holy spirit to partake or declare myself a spiritual son of God.

Now, with respect to the beliefs others have shared in this space, I certainly respect them. Do I believe baptism is necessary for salvation? No, I do not. But I believe it is necessary for one to be anointed with the heavenly calling. John 3:3 is one scripture that I think supports this, and there are others as well. But I do not think that baptism itself is a sine qua non for salvation whereas belief in Jesus' ransom sacrifice is. I have a firm faith in that sacrifice.

So how do I view my baptism as one of Jehovah's Witnesses? I was told that it symbolized my dedication to Jehovah God. As such, it has some validity, but I now believe it was not a necessary step for me to take. I haven't renounced it, however. I was also baptized as a Roman Catholic. Now I am no longer a member of either religion, so my baptisms into them is merely something I underwent in the past as part of my lifelong spiritual journey. They are mileposts along the way, nothing more.

Anyway, those are my thoughts on this topic. Thank you all for sharing yours and I wish all of you every success and much happiness on your individual spiritual journeys.

Quendi

• tenyearsafter
    tenyearsafter

I think Vanderhoven has stated what the "correct" Christian viewpoint is of being "born again" versus water baptism. The baptism is just an outward expression of commitment to a new life in Christ.

The subject of heaven is quite difficult for many to grasp...me among them. I believe that the explanation I have come to accept is that heaven is not necessarily a specific place in depths of the universe, but rather a way for those who die and give up their earthly bodies to use their "new bodies" that are capable of straddling the physical and spirit worlds. Even Satan and the demons had free access in roaming heaven and earth until they were cast down to earth. This has precedent in the Bible based on the angels materializing and Jesus taking human form after the resurrection. There would be no point in having a "new earth" if there was no one to be able to enjoy it.

I realize that to those that no longer have a belief in the Bible or God, this is just more superstitious bunk. I don't post this to change minds, but rather clarify a couple of points that Quendi brought up. As an escapee from the WTS, I can understand the many points of view that are held by the posters here. It is one of the things that keeps me thinking and constantly examing what makes sense and what doesn't, and I thank everyone for that.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

"For those who have left Jehovah's Witnesses and no longer have anything to do with the organization, how do they view their baptism as Witnesses? Is it valid? "

Since my baptism was undergone just before my thirteenth birthday, I do not consider it valid. Agreements and contracts entered into by a minor are not legally binding. I was just a kid.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit